Chapter 451 - 455

CHAPTER 451

How to See the Invisible?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seven out of eight carriers of the 2nd Mobile Fleet's carrier group suffered damage due to the ghost fighter, Spyrad. They remembered how the Otherworldly Empire's forces had used cloaked aircraft also known as an apparition fighter during the Hawaiian campaign, but it was too late.

Vice Admiral Tamon Yamaguchi thought that despite the damage, there might still be carriers usable if the decks were cleared, so he decided to temporarily withdraw from the battlefront to regroup and reorganize the forces. He had not given up on destroying the enemy mobile unit in the Java Sea. Rather, it might be said that he was even more determined due to this one-sided surprise attack.

While his carrier group was leaving the Java Sea, the main force of the Otherworldly Empire led by Admiral Volk Thesis was attempting to scout the Sunda Strait again for escape. It was already known that the Japanese mobile force was in the area due to reports from Sub-Lieutenant Luca Winefix's Spyrad recon fighter. Although they lost contact with Winefix's plane after that, the next recon plane could not find the Japanese mobile force and reached the Sunda Strait. On the flagship Gigarkos, Admiral Thesis gazed at the sea map.

"Winefix must have dealt a significant blow to the enemy."

Chief of Staff Jog Neon looked up at the Admiral's words.

"It's concerning that he got hit, but the absence of the enemy means we likely inflicted substantial damage on their carriers."

The enemy force comprised eight carriers, one cruiser squadron, and one torpedo squadron. If their carriers weren't significantly damaged, there would be no reason for them to move without launching an attack.

"Shall we head the fleet toward the Sunda Strait?"

"Yes. The enemy is likely lying in wait, though..."

Thesis grinned.

"Our fleet will vanish using cloaking devices. Let's see if they find us first or if they grow impatient and move."

"Waiting means you won't move right away?"

"I told you. The enemy is lying in wait in the Sunda Strait."

Though they couldn't see it now, there was a possibility of submarines being deployed.

"They might surround us with teleportation while our fleet is passing through."

"........."

"Don't worry. We have plenty of time, but the Japanese forces don't have that luxury."

If the Japanese were to remain wary of the Purple Star Fleet and keep a substantial force in Southeast Asia, it would indirectly support the invasion forces of the Solomon Islands or Madagascar. The Japanese Navy would have to concentrate its forces to deal with these, but if this concentration could be disrupted, then staying hidden in their backyard for a while would be strategically effective.

"But merely waiting isn't very interesting."

Thesis looked at the map again.

"We must greatly trouble them to throw the Japanese forces into chaos."

. . .

The Otherworldly Empire fleet vanished from the Java Sea. There were no attacks, and on the surface, it seemed like peace had returned. However, for the Japanese forces, their already thin defensive network in Southeast Asia suffered, and the oil fields of Palembang took significant damage. Had the enemy retreated through teleportation? Searching for the enemy's cloaked fleet was not easy.