Chapter 405 - 410

CHAPTER 405

South Sea Fleet & Southern Army – Leadership Council

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Admiral Raubert Kaimon of the Mundus Empire South Sea Fleet was having a meeting with General Martiholas, commander of the Southern Army to discuss the response to the Japanese forces advancing into the South Pacific.

"The 1st and 2nd Transport Fleets have been destroyed by the Japanese attack," Kaimon, who had the air of a sorcerer about him, announced. Though not old, he exuded a natural dignity.

Facing him was the muscular redhead, middle-aged Martiholas, who looked sullen.

"It was supposed to be a forward base threatening the Truk Islands, a key point for the Japanese southern offensive. But alas."

"........."

"If we could have made this the frontline, we could have avoided the need to fortify the Solomon Islands in the rear."

"Honestly, I don't like the idea."

Martiholas nodded in agreement with Kaimon's dispassionate words.

"I agree. There are many islands there. If we could establish multiple defensive positions, we might have been able to trouble the Japanese forces. On the other hand, if the enemy secures that area, New Caledonia could be threatened, and Fiji and Samoa might be cut off."

Unfortunately, the Mundus Empire's invasion force of Terra was strong on the frontline but weak in the rear. The frontlines were set up on New Guinea, New Britain, and New Ireland, but the nearby Solomon Islands were largely untouched, in part because there were originally no Terran bases there.

"However, even if we were to strengthen the Solomon Islands, the Japanese forces would not just sit idly by," Kaimon said.

Two transport fleets were sent to set up a forward base around Manus Island to strengthen the frontlines, but their escort fleets were destroyed, and the base establishment failed.

"Moreover, the enemy has neutralized all the airfields in New Guinea. How they did it... is probably obvious."

"The destruction of the Avra Towers. They constrain our actions. I've heard that the Japanese army has been causing trouble even on the continent."

Martiholas looked grim.

Despite significant investment in defenses on New Guinea, the Japanese had destroyed all Avra Towers and related facilities, making the environment uninhabitable for Mundus Empire personnel.

Kaimon spoke calmly. "While it's natural for the Terrans to have no restrictions, it is a bottleneck for us."

"But that does not mean we should back out. There are resources here that the Empire desires."

For the Mundus Empire, this invasion was to acquire special resources. If the humanity of other worlds were inferior and barbaric, they would simply be exploited.

"But these barbarians are proving to be at least equal to us. They might have evolved to a level comparable to Mundus in a short period."

Kaimon narrowed his eyes.

"Well, even if that is the case, His Majesty has commanded that we conquer. Eliminate those who can fight and convert the rest into resources. This planet will become a domain of the Mundus Empire. That is all."

"...I suppose so."

Martiholas agreed, though with reservations.

"However, we were informed that Japan was a small country, yet they have managed to deploy military forces in the South Pacific as well as on the continent."