Chapter 163 - 166

CHAPTER 163

Beyond the Central Pacific...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Truk Garrison Fleet was devastated. Vice Admiral Irisios and his flagship, Nagato, met their fate together, with most of the fleet sunk. Only a few remaining destroyers managed to return to Truk Anchorage.

Meanwhile, the Truk garrison, alerted by reconnaissance planes, launched an attack on the Japanese carrier task force. Formations of Vonvix fighters, Miga carrier attack bombers, and Galeos twin-engine bombers were exposed by Japanese Type 2 carrier reconnaissance planes and fleet anti-aircraft radar, prompting them to be intercepted.

The highlight was the simultaneous firing of the main guns by four Kongō-class battleships in the vanguard. Loaded Type 1 Barrier Shells literally formed a wall in front of the attacking planes, significantly contributing to a number of shoot-downs. Despite evasive maneuvers against preemptive strikes from far beyond the range of their anti-aircraft guns, the approaching Otherworldly Empire's planes found themselves unable to avoid the wide-ranging wall. While not as devastating as the initial strike, they were steadily reduced in number.

Furthermore, a large number of Zeros awaited above the Second and Third Fleets.

Due to a shortage of personnel, there was an increasing proportion of single-seat fighters in the fleet aviation units. Even on the relatively lightly equipped Kokuryū (Indomitable), out of 48 aircraft, 36 were configured as fighters, necessitating an increase in aircraft devoted to securing air superiority... Thus, despite the number of carriers, the number of aircraft available for attack sorties was reduced.

Intercepted by numerous fighters, the enemy planes could not approach the fleet and lost most of their forces. The few that managed to escape were those that jettisoned their bombs and bailed, as well as a few fighters.

Having lost its air force, the Truk garrison was spared attacks on its airfields because the Japanese Navy's objective was to destroy the fleet. Having achieved their objectives, Ozawa's task force turned back to the Mariana Islands, bringing the Battle of the Central Pacific and related engagements to a conclusion.

. . .

Mainland Japan

Inside the Navy General Staff's office, Chief of Staff Nagano and Navy Minister Shigetarō Shimada sat facing each other.

"The Combined Fleet has won for the time being."

"Once again, Yamamoto-kun has triumphed. I imagine he must be quite proud as our contemporary."

Nagano raised an eyebrow slightly, causing Shimada's expression to briefly tighten around his mouth.

"...Well, I suppose that's true for the 32nd Class."

"Seems like you two haven't changed much," Nagano chuckled.

Isoroku Yamamoto, the commander of the Combined Fleet, was their classmate in the Naval Academy 32nd Class.

"He's always been that way, and it seems he always will be."

It wasn't a matter of liking or disliking each other; there was no personal animosity or past incidents. It simply boiled down to compatibility.

Shimada preferred simplicity and regularity, seeking stability. In contrast, Yamamoto, who appeared calm but was strong-willed, enjoyed gambling and sometimes made decisions that seemed reckless or unwise. For Shimada, being around Yamamoto was often nerve-wracking and stressful.