Chapter 306 - 310

CHAPTER 306

Decoy Carrier and Struggling 2nd Mobile Fleet

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After engaging in combat with the Otherworldly Empire's Group E, approximately 400 aircraft from Group G reached the 2nd Mobile Fleet. At this time, due to low fuel and nearly depleted ammunition, the Gōfū fighters carried by the Type A sea ice carriers retreated towards the Type B sea ice carriers left behind by the 1st Mobile Fleet.

The 2nd Mobile Fleet's CAPs were also short of aircraft due to continuous engagements... if not for the 1st Mobile Fleet leaving behind the fighters. The 123 Zero Model 53s left by the 1st Mobile Fleet to support the 2nd Mobile Fleet stood in the way of enemy Group G attacking the 2nd Mobile Fleet.

"Enemy aircraft have entered the ship cannons' effective range!"

The First Fleet's commander, Vice Admiral Chūichi Nagumo, issued orders from the battleship Harima leading the 2nd Mobile Fleet's vanguard.

"Draw the enemy's aim to the vanguard! 1st Battleship Division, Type 1 Anti-Air Barrier Shells! Fire all at once!"

"Fire!"

The vanguard battleships Harima and Tōtōmi fired their twelve 46 cm triple guns. The 3rd Battleship Division's Tosa, Amagi, Kii, and Owari, as well as the 4th Battleship Division's Nagato, Mutsu, Satsuma, and Hida, fired their 41 cm guns.

They erected a huge light barrier in front of the enemy formation. Like insects colliding with a glass window and squashing, unable to avoid the sudden appearance of the light wall, several Vonvix fighters crashed. Facing the battleship-grade massive barrier, the Otherworldly Empire planes were forced to make a wide detour to avoid the light.

Then, when the formation collapsed, the CAPs charged. The Zero Model 53s swooped in, turning the Vonvix and Migas into Swiss cheese with 12,7 mm and 20 mm bullets, emitting smoke as they fell. The Otherworldly Empire aircraft retaliated with machine guns and beam cannons. Some Zeros lost a wing and spiraled, while others were destroyed with their cockpits and fuselages scattered. Intense aerial combat ensued. However, the large swarm of enemy aircraft arriving in numbers resembled a surging tide, slipping through the air defense net.

"Enemy attackers approaching the sea ice division!"

"Anti-air combat! Commence firing!"

The enemy closed in on the vanguard's carrier group, and anti-aircraft barrage erupted from escorting battleships, cruisers, and destroyers. Walls formed by Type 1 barrier shells fired from high-angle cannons crushed enemy aircraft like sumo wrestlers' palm strikes. Despite no evasive maneuvers, Vonvix fighters that broke through the interception attacked with machine guns and light beams.

The ice carriers also retaliated with 20 mm autocannons, but at this distance, both sides suffered damage. However, being originally made of Material I, a pseudo-ice mass, the Type A sea ice carriers welcomed enemy attacks as desirable damage recipients.

"The enemy air group is concentrating attacks on Sea Ice Divisions A and B!"

Upon receiving the lookout's report, Nagumo opened his mouth. "It's a 300-meter giant. Of course, it stands out...!"

Though it has a flight deck, the Type A sea ice carrier is essentially a decorative element as an aircraft carrier. Even if it loses its ability to launch and recover aircraft, it won't be a significant blow. For the battleships and cruisers tasked more with shooting down enemy aircraft attracted by them rather than escorting, even if the sea ice carriers were to suffer a fatal blow, there would be no need to take responsibility, allowing them to relax.