Chapter 59 - 63

CHAPTER 59

For the Establishment of a Lasting Endurance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1942 is halfway through and July has arrived. However, the situation surrounding the world was deteriorating day by day.

The flagship of the Combined Fleet, the battleship Tosa, was anchored at Hashirajima.

With a standard displacement of 41,100 tons and equipped with five twin 45-caliber 41-centimeter guns, except for the Yamato-class, it was the strongest battleship comparable to the Amagi-class battlecruisers. Reconstructed and refitted by the MRD, the Tosa, while the Yamato was undergoing repairs in the shipyard at Kuzushima, served as the flagship of the Combined Fleet.

'Originally, the Musashi might have been completed,' thought Matome Ugaki, Chief of Staff of the Combined Fleet.

As the clash with the Otherworldly Empire became inevitable, and the decision for war was made, the commissioning of the Yamato and Musashi was expedited. However, after the Yamato's commissioning, the Combined Fleet Headquarters felt the need for expansion of the headquarters facilities, leading to a request for the expansion of the command facilities of the under-construction Musashi. This request was granted, but due to the increased workload, the Musashi's completion was delayed. Thus, the second ship of Japan's proud 46-centimeter gun-wielding battleships is still not in service.

In hindsight, it couldn't help but be seen as an unnecessary demand. Furthermore, knowing that the expansion work cost as much as a destroyer, it might have been even more infuriating.

Back to the topic.

Following the defeat at the Battle of Truk, the Combined Fleet, which suffered a major blow, completed its reorganization and was busy training a large number of mobilized replacement personnel. Equipped with magical equipment developed by the MRD, they learned to master it and honed their skills in handling ships, aircraft, and other equipment, ensuring nothing was lacking. The next time they fight the Otherworldly Empire, they must win at all costs. They must not repeat such a devastating defeat as the Battle of Truk.

"——Southern Operation."

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto, Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet, surveyed the assembled staff.

"Oddly enough, the situation is becoming such that Japan is progressing with plans to wage war against the United States and Britain."

Cut off from oil, the country would collapse as it is. Being at war with the Otherworldly Empire, if resources were to dry up, no matter how much military strength they have, they would be trampled upon at the enemy's whim... as the countries in the Southern Hemisphere have become.

"The Imperial General Headquarters and the Japanese government have decided to advance into Southeast Asia to annihilate the Otherworldly Empire. We will liberate the area and secure the necessary resources for our country in return for protecting the locals."

Ugaki and Senior Staff Officer Kuroshima listened intently to Yamamoto's words.

"This time, unlike last year, we have tacit approval for aggression from countries other than the Otherworldly Empire. Even if we land in the Philippines, America won't send fleets to counter us, and if we attack Singapore, Malaya, or Borneo, Britain won't say anything. If we retake the Dutch East Indies, it seems we can take as much oil and resources as we want."

"That's quite transparent," Kuroshima chuckled.

Yamamoto smirked cynically. "That's because each country is in dire straits."