Chapter 29 - 32

CHAPTER 29

Special Purpose Ship Buritani Maru

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How did this happen?

Sub-Lieutenant Gijirō Suga found himself aboard a ship he had never expected to be on, the special purpose ship Buritani Maru.

"I'm a fighter pilot, but...?"

"I know... um, I mean, yes, you are, Sub-Lieutenant."

Taeko Masaki remembered she was in public and adjusted her tone. Since her recent promotion, Suga technically outranked her. In the military, rank is absolute.

"Just having you here makes me feel relieved, Tae-chan."

Suga felt lost being brought aboard such an unfamiliar vessel.

"Sub-Lieutenant Suga, you seem surprisingly timid."

"Yeah, I'm not proud of it, but I'm a coward."

Unapologetic, he was a man who openly admitted his fear. Now, Suga met with his colleagues assigned to the same mission.

They were all magical technicians from the Magitek Research Department: Fujita, Higashiyama, Shinokawa, and Tanabe were introduced. — They were all ladies.

Fujita held the rank of Sub-Lieutenant, while the others were all Ensigns like Taeko.

"Nice to meet you, Sub-Lieutenant Suga."

"N-nice to meet you too."

Sub-Lieutenant Fujita was cheerful. Surprisingly cute. Were they around the same age as Suga? The other girls seemed to be in their early twenties or in their late teens.

"So, what are we going to do?"

"Huh, didn't you hear? We're heading to Seletar."

Fujita tilted her head. Suga chuckled.

"I know that. But this Buritani Maru... It's not an aircraft carrier, is it?"

He had heard that the hangar contained tanks and boats, some belonging to the Navy's Landing Force and others transporting the battalion from the Army to Kuzushima.

"Sub-Lieutenant Suga, do you know the purpose of our mission to Seletar?"

"...To capture the British Eastern Fleet's battleships salvaged by the Otherworldly Empire before they can be used by the enemy. And also, to recover the Magic Cores."

"You understand that much."

"I've been briefed up to that point. So, I've been assigned to the special team tasked with capturing those battleships, but..."

"Yeah, if you know that much, then you should understand what we're going to do without being told, right?"

He wanted to say he didn't understand, but the truth was he had a rough idea. He just didn't want to admit it to himself. Considering the recent training he had been put through, using the Magic Cores to move ships alone...

"Board the enemy ship, control its Magic Core, and take the ship away."

"Well done. Impressive, Sub-Lieutenant Suga."

For some reason, Fujita had a patronizing tone.

"The job of us White Rank Bearers is to use Magic Cores to move battleships and aircraft carriers and bring them back to Japan. The Naval Landing Force units and the Army personnel here are to protect us."