Chapter 46

"What is this, Haru?"

Those were the words he asked me right after I handed him my report card. I thought he would at least feel calm seeing my grades, since they were all A's. However, he had this questionable expression on his face. The expression that even if it's just the two of us, I would still feel like I was being humiliated in front of many people.

"M-my report card, Dad," I answered, stuttering. I thought I would not be afraid of him anymore, since I'm already immune to his maltreatment. But I can't be strong when I'm with him. I felt weak and unable to say the words I wanted him to hear. All I just wanted was to at least feel his love, but I guess it's always like this cold.

"I know," he muttered sarcastically. "You're proud of your grades?"

I bit my lower lip. "I think it's just okay, Dad... My teacher even told me I did a great job."

"You did a great job for being a ludicrous student, Haru," he mocked; he even chuckled sarcastically. After that, he threw the report card right in front of my face. "Maybe you inherited your dumbness from your biological father."

My blood suddenly boiled. He always had this anger towards my biological father, and I hated it. I don't know who my biological father is yet, but he has no right to say that to me and especially to him.

He should be grateful because I did everything just to make him satisfied with me. I studied every single day that I didn't have time to have my summer vacation. He wanted me to attend summer classes from different academies because he would always say I'm so dumb—that I don't know how to comprehend this, that, anything he could point out that is pointless enough.

"Dad... I'm a top student in our class..." I said in a voice that was begging.

"And so..?" He raised his brow. "What should I do? Should I clap my hands and congratulate you? Is that what you want?"

I picked up my report card on the floor and put it back in the envelope. I felt my sweat fall down the floor because my head bent down. I don't want to look at him... because I might be reminded of the past again. Kagaya noon, ganito pa rin ngayon. There's no change at all... I'm still the dumbest, ugly and ungrateful son to him.

"Can I go to my room now, Dad..?" I asked for permission. Because If I just walk away without saying something, he might shout at me until he follows me to my room just to hurt me physically. Whenever he has the chance... Whenever Mom is not around or even Mom is around but tired to even scold him.

"And what will you do to your room? Read a comic until you fall asleep?"

I shook my head. "I will study, Dad."

He unbelievably snorted. "Don't lie to me, Haru. You were not able to have A+ grades, and you're telling me you're going to study? Hypocrite."

"Dad, I have an A+ mark on some subjects... It's just that my overall grades were not able to reach it."

"Shut up!" he shouted. "Why don't you be like your sister Hana. She's the top one in her class and was able to have an overall A+ grade."

I swallowed hard. I don't want to compete with my sister. Siya lang talaga ang parang gusto kami makipag-kompetensiya sa isa't isa... or perhaps he just really loved my sister. Oh yeah... because my sister is his biological child. I'm not his real son, so why would I ask him to treat me like how he was treating my sister?

"I can't be like Hana, Dad..."

"Exactly!" he uttered. "Your sister is naturally born smart, while you are just trying to be like that. Instead of reading comics, go and study hard. Don't give me fucking reasons why you can't be the top one in your class."