CHAPTER TWENTY TWO

LOVELY GIRL WON'T YOU STAY,

WON'T YOU STAY, STAY WITH ME.

ALL MY LIFE I'VE BEEN BLIND,

BUT NOW, NOW I CAN SEE

"Thanks for helping me Danny"

"No problem" he said stretching himself taller as I held on tighter to the ladder he was using.

It was New Year's Eve and all week I had been trying to keep Thea occupied, to keep her from searching for a place to live.

Lucie and Charlie will be leaving in four weeks and I knew she was desperate to find somewhere and get settled. I could still see the torment in her eyes but like always she tried to hide it from me, covering her face with smiles that were dull and subdued. Even her dimples were false.

This was another one of my reasons to keep her busy. I wanted to keep her mind active so she couldn't dwell on things, to try and ease any heartache she was going through.

We were looking after Charlie a lot while Lucie packed boxes and organised herself.

I knew how much I was going to miss him. He was my buddy, my little pal. In these last few months we had formed a tight strong bond between us, his life reflecting mine in so many ways.

Tony was so similar to his Dad he could have been his twin Brother and my heart went out to Charlie. I knew the effects of James's actions would never die. They would be twisting deep down inside of the little boy, looping their way through every cell of his tiny body and mind leaving him with insecurities he would have to live with for the rest of his life.

"Ok" Danny said breaking my train of thought. "There!" he said stepping back down to admire his handy work.

Danny had quite literally turned my apartment into a make shift disco, a glitter ball hanging from the ceiling, stage lights circling an empty dance floor. It looked great and exactly how I had imagined it.

"Danny you're a star! Thank you. I owe you one!" I said gripping his hand to give it a well-earned shake.

"No problem. I hope she says yes!" he smiled warmly.

Kate and Rob were throwing their own party this evening but I knew this wasn't what Thea needed, a crowd of drunks celebrating the New Year. So instead I asked her if she wanted to spend it at mine, alone.

She had no idea of the surprise I had in store for her.

My stomach now twisted into a delightful knot as I waited eagerly for her wanting nothing more than to watch the expression on her face, to hopefully see the sparkle return to her eyes.

I walked to the elevator to greet her, the anticipation of seeing her overwhelming me. It had only been one day but I missed her. It seemed I could never get enough of being in her company.