CHAPTER SEVENTY TWO

LOVING SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T LOVE YOU,

IS LIKE WAITING FOR A SHIP AT THE AIRPORT

Matt came round on the Monday after the engagement party like he promised and seemed back to his usual self, relaxed and happy but that was two weeks ago now.                                                                                                                                                                              

We made arrangements to see each other that coming weekend but he had cancelled at the last minute saying he had plans with Rachael. Before with his other girlfriends he would abandon them for our time on a Sunday but now it was different, he was different. Matt was changing and it pained me to see.

He was always with her. Wherever he went she followed. When we did finally meet on our own, his phone would constantly be active with Racheal checking up on him. You could see the irritation on his face, his hand running through his thick hair, taking in deep breaths, always keeping his cool.                                                                      

"Sorry, it's just Rachael" he would explain.

Our Sundays together became few and far between but it wasn't just me he was cancelling on. Most weekends he played golf with Rob and in the past month he had been only once. Rob had said something to him and apparently Matt had reacted badly. Since then they weren't the same around each other.

"I can't stand the stuck up bitch!" Rob grumbled, grabbing a bottle of Bud from his fridge.                                              

"Oh, come on Rob" Kate interjected "She's not all that bad. I mean she's... she's..." Kate shook her head. "Yea, ok. She's a bitch" she laughed.                                                                                                                                            

I was sat quiet at the kitchen table.                                                                                                                                                    

In the past couple of months I had seen Matt four times. I was lost without him and my depression which had been fading into the background was now coming back with full force. I felt once more like the living dead going from day to day, just barely surviving.

"You ok Thea?" Kate asked turning to me.                                                                                                                                   

"Sure" I said glancing up trying a smile.                                                                                                                                          

Rob conveniently evacuated into the next room giving us some privacy. Kate grabbed her drink and sat down beside me.                                                                                                                                                              

"Want to talk about it?"                                                                                                                                                   

I shook my head.