CHAPTER TWENTY THREE

THERE'S A CHANGE IN THE AIR,

I CAN FEEL IT.

HOW MY HEART CANNOT BARE,

CAN YOU FEEL IT?

SAVE ALL THE GRACE TILL THE HURTIN DISAPPEARS

Lucie's and Charlie's time to move up to Yorkshire had come round too quickly.                                             

She was thrilled I was moving in with Matt as were my parents. I think it made them feel better about the whole situation which it should. I would be ok; I knew this because Matt was in my life. It felt since I had met him I could get through anything as long as he was by my side.

We arrived at their leaving party.

It was more of a simple get together with the usual crowd minus Steve who was out on one of his friends stag do's. I was pleased Kate had listened to me keeping it low key. She decided on a few drinks and a take away pizza with an early night ahead as Charlie of course was attending. It was for him just as much as Lucie.

Kate organised the balloons and leaving banners and even provided them with a cake with two little icing people donned on the chocolate covered surface, their suitcases in hand.

I swallowed the unwanted lump in my throat when she had presented it to them, Lucie looking in my direction but I knew if our eyes met it would topple me over. My only saving grace was Matt's reassuring arm round my middle, his simple touch keeping my fears and anxiety at bay.

We sat now on the comfy pair of sofas everyone egging on Danny and Matt who were playing Air Guitar, Battle of the Bands.

Without Steve by her side Sadie was off her leash lapping up any attention Matt threw her way, cheering him on being the most vocal in the room.

Lucie sat next to me with Charlie tucked safely between us his little face eager to have a try, watching his Uncle Matt with fascination.

Everyone seemed to be having a nice time although Kate didn't seem her usual bubbly self. She looked tired and upset trying to keep up appearances putting on a front.

I hadn't spoken to her since New Year spending most of my time with Matt, Lucie and Charlie.

Suddenly I felt a pang of guilt.

Maybe she had needed me?

I took a sip of my fruity cider which to my surprise I was enjoying. It was actually numbing my thoughts on why we were really here.

I peered over at Kate now sat next to Rob. One of his arms rested over her shoulders, the other down by her knee. He looked fine, comfortable and relaxed. He had been in a cheery mood all evening, constantly giving Kate plenty of attention but I noticed she seemed tense, her tone a little clipped. Something was definitely bothering her.