CHAPTER SEVENTY

EVERYONE SAYS THAT LOVE HURTS BUT THAT'S NOT TRUE.

LONELINESS HURTS,

REJECTION HURTS,

LOSING SOMEONE HURTS.

EVERYONE CONFUSES THESE THINGS WITH LOVE

BUT IN REALITY LOVE IS THE ONLY THING IN THIS WORLD

THAT COVERS UP ALL THE PAIN AND MAKES US FEEL WONDERFUL AGAIN.

MATT'S POV

I stood at the foot of Thea's bed watching her as she slept peacefully, her face rid of any anguish or grief.

I had woken suddenly, my eyes darting open to darkness, startled Thea was in my arms.

My heart instantly reacted, painfully aching in my chest. I stopped breathing scared any sudden movement would wake her.

I laid there awhile with my head in turmoil. I wanted to spend the rest of my days here, her body cocooned into mine pressed so tightly against my chest but my pride had other plans.

I shook my head lightly, trying to break the physical excruciating pull to be near her.

My heart had, had its fun, its precious fix. It was time to start fighting again.

I couldn't stay any longer my ego wouldn't allow me too. I knew I had to leave before she woke, it would be too awkward otherwise. She might even be angry if she knew I had stayed in her bed and once again I knew I wouldn't be able to take her rejection. The very thought killed me.

This couldn't happen again! I had to be stronger! I had to protect my heart. Had I forgotten what she had done to me? No, I hadn't forgotten. How could I when I was still living with the pain?

Except the pain I felt now was unlike the pain of her betrayal, it had magnified, twisted and transformed itself and grown into something completely different.

When I thought of Thea and Benson now the memory still hurt, the bile still rose in my throat but it was easier somehow. I guess time really is the greatest healer.

I only had one fear now, one constant nightmare, one lot of indescribable, overbearing, crucifying pain to deal with and that was knowing Thea no longer loved me. Knowing one day someone else out there would capture her heart and I would have to watch as he led her down the aisle making her his wife, his everything. She would become someone else's world, someone else's treasure to behold.

I shook my head again trying to rid my tortured thoughts. She had not just stolen my heart she had stolen my mind, my sleep.

Last night had been a one off. She must have opened up to me out of guilt or pity.

Thea was my friend, a good friend, my best friend, something I had to come to terms with before I made yet another fool of myself.