Magic Practise

Note that Bella is about twelve or thirteen in this.

Bella Pleasant groaned in annoyance as the fire burnt out in her hand.

"You can do it," Skulduggery told her. "Try again."

Bella narrowed her eyes, and concentrated on her hand that was held out in front of her. She did everything that her dad had taught her, and suddenly, a small spark ignited in her palm. She focussed all her attention on that spark, and it grew. It grew bigger until there was a small flame flickering in the light. She closed her eyes and tried to make it even bigger. But then the flame disintegrated.

Her eyes snapped open and she scowled. She was getting really frustrated now.

"Oh my god really?" She moaned, studying her hand.

"You'll get it eventually," Skulduggery told her. "It takes practise."

"But it's so frustrating!"

"Getting frustrated only makes things worse Bella. You have to keep calm, focus all your attention on your magic."

"That's what I did."

"No, you didn't."

"What?"

"You were distracted."

"I was not!"

"You were Bella."

Bella scowled and crossed her arms over her chest. She was angry now. She stood with her back turned to Skulduggery for a moment, before she sighed.

"Fine, I was distracted. Happy now?"

"Not until you tell me why," he replied.

She turned back around to face him.

"It's nothing."

Skulduggery stared. Bella stared back. It was a stare-off. Bella didn't realise, but she had been holding her breath.

"Okay fine!" She finally said. "I was..."

She started laughing. Skulduggery looked confused. He waited and watched her as Bella leaned over and howled. When she finally straightened up, she wiped the tears from her eyes and looked him in the eye.

"I was thinking about how angry you're going to be when you see your car."

"What?!"

She giggled again. "The Bentley," Bella said. "A bird pooped on it."

She swear she saw steam come out of Skulduggery's ears. He was as still as a statue, and didn't say anything. He narrowed his emerald eyes, and she waited for him to explode. She stood back as he stalked out the door, and she started giggling.

As soon as Skulduggery walked out, Sophie her older sister came in, a ball of fire flaring in her open palm. Bella scowled. Sophie smirked.

"Still having trouble little sis?" She teased, and the fire went out as she closed her hand.

"No!" Bella said defiantly. Sophie raised her eyebrows.

"Show me then."

Bella stood there for a moment, then she opened her palm and focused all her energy and magic into making a spark. A tiny flame burned in her hand, and she thought about it getting bigger. She closed her eyes, and felt the fire growing in her palm. She put everything she had into it, and opened her eyes. She had to stop herself from having a panic attack.

The flame that she now held was massive. Almost twice as big as the ones that Skulduggery could make, and Sophie was standing in the doorway with her jaw dropped and her eyes wide open.

Bella forced herself to remain calm and she splayed her fingers, the flames dancing. She giggled and played with the fire.

She played with it until she heard Skulduggery and Valkyrie come into the room. Both her parents stopped and stared in awe, and Bella Pleasant grinned.

She was a pyromaniac.