Unexpected Entrances

Inspired by different stories in Armageddon Outta Here
Note that some of these are my own work and others belong to Derek Landy ;)

"Mum?" Bella Pleasant asked, tugging on the hem of Valkyrie's shirt.

The dark haired woman stared at her. "Yes darling?"

"Do you have any other funny stories to tell?"

"There's so many," Valkyrie sighed. She grabbed her daughter's hand and they walked into the lounge room together. Valkyrie and Bella sat down on the couch and Valkyrie ran her fingers through her daughter's hair.

"What do you think about unexpected things happening?"

"I dunno..." Bella shrugged. "Sometimes it's funny."

Valkyrie smiled. "I have a few funny ones for you then."

Bella smiled and leant back, her dark eyes never leaving Valkyrie as her mother spoke. "There was this one time..."

The goblins stepped back, rejoining their brother.

"Now," Liam said with a snaggle-toothed smile, "give us our payment."

"And then you'll let us go?"

"Of course."

"Why don't I believe you?"

Liam shrugged. "A deal's a deal - we held up our part, now you have to do the same."

If things turned nasty, Valkyrie would only be able to scoop up one of the kids before the goblins were on her. The goblins didn't look very fast, so she'd probably be able to beat them to the door, but it would mean leaving two babies here. She didn't see any alternative, however, and the goblin's patience was running out.

She tossed the bag, and Liam caught it and yanked open the drawstring. He let the gold coins spill out into his hand. Fintan licked his lips.

"They real? Liam, they real?"

Liam put one of the coins in his mouth and sucked on it a moment, then reached his grimy fingers between his lips to retrieve it.

"It's gold," he said happily. His wide eyes glinted.

"Pleasure doing business," Valkyrie said, hunkering down to the kids.

"You're not leaving," said Liam.

Valkyrie sighed. "Is this a double-cross?"

"That's what this is. I'd be better if the skeleton was here instead of you, but when we send him your head, wrapped up in a pretty bow, he'll come looking for us and we'll get him then."

"You have issues with Skulduggery?"

"We hate him," Fintan snarled. "He's the one responsible for turning us into creatures of slime and bad breath."

"I see," said Valkyrie. "Before you kill me, can I ask you a question?"

Liam laughed. "Go ahead."