Mutts

"Bella! Behind you!" Karma Snow cried, and Bella Pleasant whirled around just as another Vampire ran at her. She blasted it off its feet with air, and the vampire hit the wall. It's head cracked painfully off the concrete, and it didn't get back up. Bella nodded her thanks to Karma, and her and Aibhlinn kept running.

The Dead Girls had split up to cover more ground, fighting their way through the old, abandoned house. Ruby, Kalani and Blizzard had gone one way, and Bella, Karma and Aibhlinn had gone the other. Not the most sensible decision but it needed to be done.

Bella stopped running when she felt her phone vibrate in her pocket. Karma skidded to a stop beside her, causing Aibhlinn to crash into her. Karma managed to keep her balance, and shot her friend a glare.

Bella pulled out her phone and looked at the caller ID. Skulduggery. She glanced at the other two girls, and a sense of dread came over her.

"Dad?" She answered.

"You need to get out of there! Right now!"

"What? But we're not done yet..."

"I don't care Bella! Get out! Call the case off!"

"Why? What's going on?"

"The Vampires aren't the only things in there with you."

Bella eyes widened, and she froze as she heard a noise from behind her. Something snarled, and a growl rumbled from deep within its throat. Karma swallowed, but they didn't dare look around.

"Bella are you still there?"

Bella reluctantly hung up on Skulduggery, and turned around slowly. She could see Aibhlinn watching her from the corner of her eye. All three girls started turning, and had to hold back gasps when they saw what was there. The creature would have been at least twice the height of Skulduggery, and its claws were the length of Tanith Low's sword. The teeth were bared and pointed, spit dripping onto the floor. It's eyes were brown and dandruff could be seen under its hair. It reminded Bella of the mutts in The Hunger Games. It was pitch black, and had only one thing on its mind; kill everyone in sight.

It launched itself at Karma, who dodged to the side, hitting it with a stream of energy. The mutt went sailing across the room, and Aibhlinn snarled, transforming into a wolf and attacking. For a moment Bella and Karma couldn't tell which creature was which, because both of them had black hair. Aibhlinn came up on top snapping her jaws together. The mutt swiped its huge claws at her face, and she yelped, falling away. Karma stiffened next to Bella as the mutt got back up on its feet. The girls watched as their friend turned back into a girl, and gasped as they saw the blood pooling around her. She took one last shuddering breath, and her body went limp. Karma's jaw dropped in shock, and she stumbled backwards a few steps.

The mutt went for Aibhlinn's body, and Bella put both fingers in her mouth and whistled loudly. It stopped in its tracks and turned to them just as Bella hurled a fireball. It didn't hit the mutt, it just bounced off its fur. Bella cursed, and used the air again. The mutt dodged her attack, and crashed into Karma, sending her sprawling. It pounced on her and rested it huge hand on her chest, putting all its weight on her. Karma cried out as ribs broke, and she could feel one of them scraping against her lung.

Bella could hear the sound of bones breaking, and tried everything she could to get the mutt off her friend. But it was as if the creature had put up an invisible shield, and she couldn't get through it.

Karma couldn't breathe now, it was cutting off her oxygen. She could feel herself slipping away, her eyelids drooping. She couldn't fight back; it hurt too much to even move. She could see Bella frantically trying to make the mutt get off her, but she knew that it wouldn't stop until she was dead. She could tell that just by the way it looked at her.

Her whole body was numb. Karma welcomed that sensation, it cancelled out the pain from her ribs. Bella had given up trying to distract the mutt, and Karma saw the desperation in her brown eyes.

"Please," she heard her friend say. Karma tried to talk, but couldn't. Her body was shutting down due to the lack of oxygen, and she knew that she was going to die.

A tear rolled down Bella's cheek as she watched Karma Snow's eyes flutter closed. The mutt sniffed her, and lifted its massive hand off her chest. Bella felt the anger welling up inside her. She breathed in slowly, breathing in all the sadness, all the guilt, all the pain; and let it out in a scream that echoed through the whole house.

The mutt turned to her and watched as she dropped to her knees, screaming and crying. Aibhlinn was dead. Karma was dead. Anger overcame her being, and Bella could feel something, like someone was pinching her temples.

Let me out

Bella forced herself to calm down, and got to her feet. Tear stains lined her cheeks, and she watched as the mutt tilted its head at her.

"JUST KILL ME!" She screeched. "YOU'VE KILLED MY SISTERS! THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO UNDERSTOOD ME! I'VE GOT NOTHING NOW!"

The mutt continued staring, it's brown eyes exploring her body. Bella didn't care, she didn't care about anything anymore. There was nothing left. She sunk to the ground again, hiding her face with her hands. She felt her phone vibrating in her pocket, but ignored it. It went to voicemail, and she heard Blizzard's voice.

"Bella! Please pick up! We heard someone scream! Please! We need to know if you're okay!"

Bella continued sobbing, not feeling the least bit guilty for not replying. Another call came through, and she ignored that too. This time, Ruby spoke.

"Bella your dad is coming. Please answer."

Skulduggery was coming. Good, he'd know what to do. That was, if he got here before the mutt decided she wasn't just a pretty face, and ripped her apart...

Bella forced herself not to look at Karma's dead body, or Aibhlinn on the other side of the room. Then the door opened, and a horde of Vampires filed into the room. Bella didn't look up. She was going to die today, and there was nothing anybody could do about it.

**********

Kalani sprinted through the corridors with Blizzard and Ruby beside her; in the direction of the scream. She wiped away the sweat on her brow, and stopped as a group of Vampires walked into one of the rooms. She gestured to Ruby and Blizzard, who nodded. Together they all crept towards the door, and heard sobbing come from within.

Blizzard peered under the door, and had to stop herself from gasping at what she saw. Karma Snow was lying dead on one side of the room, and Aibhlinn Firinne lay in a pool of her own blood, not moving. Bella Pleasant sat in the middle, crying into her hands. That was the last the girls saw of her before the Vampires surrounded her. Blizzard turned away as a cry pierced the air. She stood up silently, and a tear ran down her cheek.

Kalani and Ruby stared at her, and Blizzard shook her head.

"She's dead. We all are."

"What do you mean?" Ruby asked.

"There's no way out of here, we're trapped. Also there's a horde of Vampires right behind us, and what looks like a mutt."

None of them turned around, none of them wanted to. All they heard next, was the sound of each other's screams as blood splattered onto the floor.

**********

Bella watched as the Vampires surrounded her, and smiled.

"Fuck you," she said as they tore her apart.

Hehe just a gruesome and sad one for you all, I'm feeling evil and morbid today and just wanted to write about blood and guts 😊

Valkyrie_Cain22 Skulduggeryvalkyrie
ColonelCustard bambibookworm2001
Baespoke