Stop Judgin'

Chivonn:

Michael and Bryan went on to my mom's house and I drove there separately. I wasn't planning on staying there all day long, I had loads of laundry, grocery shopping, and I needed to go to my wireless store to see what kind of deals I could get on a phone. I couldn't be without a phone until Michael decided he was ready to buy me one. He would just have to give me the cash to pay me back.

My mom lived in a gated community. Her fourth husband was an architect and made really good money. When I pulled up to the place, Michael and Bryan were standing outside on the porch smoking cigarettes. They were both dressed decently in their good jeans, polo shirts, and fresh tennis shoes. Michael had his hair pulled back and Bryan looked like he had just got his braids redone. Michael watched Bryan cautiously for a moment as I walked up the stairs and stood with them on the porch and then he dared to look at me. We exchanged a small smile and then I looked at my brother.

"Where's Terrika and the kids?"

"Inside. You know that bitch is kissin' mom's ass like always. She think just because my mom approves, I'mma go back to her psycho ass." He took a final drag and blew out a cloud of smoke before putting his cigarette out in mom's designated outdoor ash tray. Michael didn't get the memo and flicked his cigarette butt out in her flower bed. Before I could say anything, Bryan spoke up.

"Nah nigga... you betta go pick that up."

"What?"

"If my mom sees a cigarette butt in her flower bed, she'll lose her mind."

Michael rolled his eyes dramatically and skipped down the porch stairs. "Bougie ass folks... Aww... fuck!" There were sprinklers nearby that kept the ground pretty moist. Michael stepped right into a soft muddy spot getting his precious shoes dirty. Men and their shoes....

We walked inside and sure enough Terrika was in their talking my mom's ear off about her daily problems. My mom looked relieved to see us and stood up right in the middle of Terrika's sentence. She was wearing a long dress with a shawl over her shoulders.

She hugged Bryan and I briefly and just looked at Michael and put her hands on her hips. He laughed quietly and looked down at the floor.

"Young man, where have you been for the past two years?"

"Ah...I just thought I take some time out to correct my behavior..." he mumbled. I covered my mouth and stifled a laugh. He cut his eyes at me. Bryan was watching us closely. I could see the wheels turning in his head as he tried to process and analyze every interaction between us. I tried not to stand too close to Michael despite that gravitational pull between us that made me just want to be close to him. But it seemed like he was inching closer and closer to me.

"And do you feel like you've gotten it corrected?" My mom asked with her eyebrow raised.

"Yes, ma'am." And as he spoke he took one more step closer to me and our arms touched. I looked up at him and he looked back at me with a smirk.

"That's not what I've been hearing." My mom said and her eyebrow seemed to rise even higher. I'm sure Terrika probably told her what happened out in front of our house and it didn't take a genius to guess if it involved Michael.

"It's a struggle, but I'm tryin' my hardest."

"Mmhmm." My mom looked him up and down. "Katherine says you ain't been out to see her yet nor have you contacted any of your brothers or sisters."

Michael just shrugged. "No car, no phone... they all know where I stay."

My mom just shook her head. "Kat's not doing so well. I doubt she's able to get out and about. You need to go see her." Michael swallowed hard and I could tell the thought of his mother being unwell scared him. Before the conversation could get any deeper a little voice interrupted us.