Making Amends

Chivonn:

I was proud of Michael for holding his tongue like that with my mom. She didn't even react half as bad as I thought she would have. And I had half expect Michael to respond just as equally bad. He was quiet on the way back to the apartment. I figured maybe he was planning his speech in his head of what he'd say to Bryan or reflecting and feeling bad about himself after what my mom said. I couldn't see much of his face, as he was looking out the passenger window. His body language was tense.

"Are you ok, baby? Don't let my mom's attitude bring you down."

"Nah, I ain't even trippin' off that..." he mumbled softly waving his hand in a slight dismissal motion.

"Well don't worry about Bryan either... He knows he was the one in the wrong." I said reaching over and attempting to touch his thigh, but he pushed my hand away. Then it was like he realized what he had just done and quickly reached over and picked my hand up in his large, warm one.

"Sorry I'm just on edge. I'm really tryin' with this anger management shit... Today is really tryin' it. First Kim and then yo momma... now I'm finna deal with Bryan. It's a true mothafuckin' test to my limit, baby. So forgive me in advance if I turn into a true ass-hoe by the end of the night." He stroked my hand softly in his as he spoke.

"Let me just leave you alone then..." I said pulling my hand away from his.

"Baby..." he groaned.

"No, go on back to your thoughts. I'll let you be. I'm not mad, baby. I'm proud of you, ok? I know this is hard for you."

And so he did.

**

We got to the townhome around seven in the evening. Michael helped me get the kids inside. Bryan wasn't even home yet so Michael entertained the children in the living room while I worked on dinner. He brought the CD player in the living room and played his music for them and even danced for them. Every once in a while I'd sneak down the hall and peek in there. He is going to be big someday... I just knew it. His star power seemed to literally light up the entire living room. I could almost imagine him inside of an arena instead of in this small room.

We traded roles tonight. Michael was feeding Davea, while I had Darrius on my lap helping him eat. Both of us were simultaneously taking bites out of our own plates. About halfway into the meal, I heard the front door open.

"Yo sis, I've got some bad ne..." he stopped mid-sentence when he saw Michael sitting there at our kitchen table with a spoon in his daughter's mouth. Michael was smiling happily at Davea and looked over at Bryan, his smile fading slowly. He slipped the empty spoon out of Davea's mouth and sat it down gently before standing.

"Yo, bro can we talk?" Michael shoved his hands in his pockets.

Bryan looked back at me and I narrowed my eyes at him a little. He better let the man talk.

Michael:

I eyed Bryan a little nervously. It felt so weird... This atmosphere between the two of us. It ain't never been like this between us. Bryan's the only real friend I ever had. This shit had hurt me more than I had ever let on, but I was ready to forget it. We stood just outside the townhome in silence, both with cigarettes in our hands.

"Look man, I'm sorry about Keisha. I shoulda neva tried to cover that shit up and then been an asshole about it." I'm glad he was makin' this easy for me because talkin' to him like this is something I never do. Once you crossed me once, I'm normally done witcha ass.