Curtains Closing

Chivonn:

Michael left the stage after the song Human Nature, but the crowd was still screaming for more. We're talking both men and women screaming so loud I thought the club was going to explode with the enthusiasm and excitement. Sean had stormed off shortly after Michael started to avoid looking at me. I wasn't sure where he went but I sincerely hoped for his own safety that he had left the club entirely.

The spotlight returned and Michael walked back out onto the stage without his suit jacket, but just a then white V neck T-shirt. His hat was off and he let his curls loose. He looked so... sexy... He cleared his throat and spoke into the microphone with his soft, sweet voice.

"Well, I was going to dedicate this song to someone special..." He glanced up at me briefly and it stung a bit. "But there are so many beautiful women here tonight... I'll dedicate it to all of you." And then he began to sing a cappella with no music, but I recognized the song right away...

There'll be no darkness tonight
Lady, our love will shine, lighting the light
Just put your trust in my heart
And meet me in paradise, now is the time
Girl, you're every wonder in this world to me
A treasure time won't steal away

The scribbles I found on that piece of paper the night I thought he was dead... My eyes welled up a little. He didn't even need music, his voice was so beautiful on its own... He continued the song pacing back and forth on the throwing in a couple dance moves here and there and interacting with girls that were standing in the crowd on the lower level. Sean came back over as the song was ending and tapped me on the shoulder.

"Can I talk to you outside for a minute?" I definitely was not about to be seen walking out with him. I'm sure Michael was already plenty pissed to see us up here together.

"Whatever you need to say to me Sean, you need to do it here." As I said that the room filled with cheering again as Michael ended his performance and left the stage. The lights came back on in the place and the stage crew immediately came out to set up the equipment for the DJ that would be doing the entertaining for the rest of the evening. Once the crowd died down a little, I stared down into my empty glass and then back up at Sean's eyes.

"You mean to tell me you'd rather have this struggling artist..." At least he was a struggling artist now and not just a thug. "...than a guy like me? Chivonn, help me understand..." God, I knew once he found out it was Michael I was seeing it would give him all the more reason to keep pursuing me.

"I don't know what to say, Sean... I really don't."

Risa and Andrea were quiet. They were both looking at each other with telepathic messages in their eyes. Andrea stood. "I'm going to go try to say hi to Michael."

Risa made a disgusted face. "Good luck getting through the sea of thirties..." Andrea took off on her mission and I almost wanted to chase after her, but I couldn't get away from Sean's eyes. He just stared at me with this look that seriously was breaking my heart. I gave in and we stepped outside to talk.

Michael:

I threw on my extra outfit I had packed with me. It was a nice buttoned down red shirt and a good pair of jeans. I was trying to look nice and clean cut for Chivonn tonight... Man, fuck her! How could she do me like this?! That mean muggin' Calvin Klein model... why didn't I suspect his ass first thing... I could have beat his ass right then! But I'mma find him. I don't give a fuck if I go back to jail tonight... From the way he was lookin' at me he must know about me so for him to show up to my fuckin' show with my girl?! He's beggin' me to murder him.

Bryan and my brothers busted up into my dressing room hoopin' and hollerin' like hoodlums. "Nigga you was on fire!" Tito said slappin' me on the back.