Vala Harkness - Daughter of Hephaestus/Fire Nymph

Vala was born to Julie Harkness and Hephaestus on 31 July 1990. How Julie met Hephaestus was nothing overly special, Julie's father was a farrier, and she grew up around forges, which quickly became a passion for her, as well as riding horses.

After Vala was born Julie did her best to raise her daughter, knowing someday creatures would come for her, but as the years went on, Julie forgot Hephaestus's words of warning. She married, had a couple of more children, and it wasn't until 2002, when Vala was attacked by, well what Vala described as a massive dog that looked like it came from hell itself. Had it not been for a nearby group of hunters, the hellhound might have gotten the best of Vala.

This incident quickly reminded Julie of Hephaestus's warnings when Vala was born, and pulled out a dusty old box. The box contained a sword, a bow and arrow as well as various trinkets and gears made of celestial bronze. Vala had always loved putting things together and taking them apart, so being a child of Hephaestus made a lot of sense (her mother had still yet to buy a new toaster since Vala had taken it apart a week earlier).

The hunters sent a satyr back to Vala's town a few weeks later, and he offered to start taking Vala to camp when she wasn't in school. This went on well for a few years, until October 2007. Despite her senior year in full gear, her father needed her for a quest; she managed to convince her mother to let her take a week off from school, and with a few other year round campers, headed for California. Things were going well until they ran into a demigod, lost in the woods and clearly in trouble, the girl looked to be no older than 14 at most, and the bronze bulls had her cornered, and already a pretty good sized blaze had started between her and the girl. In the process of trying to save the girl, Vala was knocked unconscious, and the other questers did not have the power, to get through the fire to get to her.

As Hephaestus kids have a higher resistant to heat and burns, she began suffocating from lack of oxygen long before the fire and heat started getting to her. As her last breath was leaving her body, Hephaestus felt horrible for having had her in this situation, when she should have been at school with her friends. In that last moment of life, he turned his daughter into a fire nymph. As the fire raged on to burn over 500,000 acres, Vala felt more alive than she'd ever felt before, and for the first time since she was born, she could now see her father.

After a few years of helping her father in his forges, he sent her back to camp to help against the Broken Covenant.