Ch-19 The Phone Call

Instead of wishing away nine months of pregnancy and complaining about the shadow over my feet, I'd have cherished every minute of it and realized that the wonderment growing inside me was to be my only chance in life to assist God in a miracle.
                       ~Emma Bombeck

"Hey Jessalynn," Carly greeted me at her front door and gave me a tight squeeze. "You have that pregnancy glow." She told me cheerily and I thanked her but of course I was thinking that I look like crap.

"How are you?" I asked, returning the hug. We released each other and I followed her to the kitchen where dinner was being made.

"I'm good as ever," she replied and stirred the pasta on the stove. I grabbed the ingredients for a salad and sat at the counter since my feet are killing me, I couldn't bear to stand any longer. I began chopping up the vegetables. "Have you heard that Cole is coming home soon?" She questioned.

I nodded my head yes and continued to dice the ingredients. The subject gets me kind of uneasy because I'm nervous what our relationship will be like when he returns.

"Are you excited to talk to him? He should be calling anytime now." She spoke up after a minute of silence. I nodded my head once again and didn't speak. "Is something bothering you Jessalynn?" She asked after I appeared to be spaced out.

I blinked back into the real world and smiled at her. "No not at all." I fibbed. I rubbed my stomach as I felt a little kick and it made me smile again. The phone began to ring and my palms grew sweaty in nervousness. I thought I wanted to talk to Cole but it turns out I changed my mind. I ran my fingers through my brown locks.

Carly made her way to the phone and answered, "Hello." She smiled after a few seconds and gestured the phone towards me. "You can talk to him first," she said kindly.

I grabbed the house phone from her hands and walked down the hallway into the guest room, which was Cole's room for the short time he was here and it is also the room he took my virginity in. I can't say that the atmosphere didn't add to my nerves.

"Hello?" I said almost as a question.

"Hey Jessalynn." I heard Cole's voice on the other end of the line and I took a seat at the foot of the bed. "How are my sons?" He asked proudly.

I cleared my throat after realizing I wasn't speaking and then answered, "They're healthy and little wiggle worms." I said more comfortably and laughed.

"So I got your last letter and you're really thinking about adopting out my sons?" He asked defensively and I rolled my eyes at his choice of wording, my.

"Okay first of all Cole, they are not just yours they are mine also." I said with major attitude and I rolled my eyes.

"Well you sound like you are just a ball of fun." He remarked sarcastically and I bit my lip in anger.

"Do you like to make me angry? Do you enjoy pissing me off?" I asked irritatedly and I heard him chuckle.

"Maybe a little." He said with amusement and I blew air out of my mouth angrily and tried not to let his childish behavior get to me. "Are you going to answer the question?" His tone changed to what seemed like concern.

"Maybe I am because I can't raise two children with you." I said in a low tone, disappointed that I would see let myself get into this situation but I wouldn't change it now.