Ch- 36 Settling In

"Ready for your first day of church?" I asked my boys as I tried to cover the dark circles under my eyes with makeup. I got a babble from Josiah but Jax is asleep.

I yawned and zipped up my makeup bag. I peaked in the diaper bag to make sure I have everything I need which I do. I pulled the carseats closer to the bassinets and buckled the boys in. I couldn't help but yawn again.

"Ready?" Jessie walked in my bedroom and picked up one of the carseats.

"Ready," I mimicked and picked up the other carrier. Even though Josiah is only five pounds, this carseat weighs a ton. I followed behind Jessie and loaded the boys in the car.

When we arrived at church I took an aisle seat this time so the boys carriers could sit beside me. "They are so precious Jessalynn," Belle complimented and I knew hers was to be one of the only heartfelt comments of the morning. After all she was one of the only people that didn't spread gossip while I was pregnant.

"Good job on two beautiful baby boys," another usual church-goer peaked in the car seat.

"Thank you," I smiled back and put Josiah's booties back on that he had kicked off. They are perfect. Not to boast or anything but I did do a good job. They are the cutest babies ever.

Church passed quickly and Cole never showed up. I guess he either never made it back into Alabama or just doesn't care to be in church this Sunday.

Carly held Jax most of the service because he was being fussy and she offered. Josiah slept like an angel up until the last minute when he let out a scream making everyone look in our direction. I put the pacifier in his mouth and he was calm again.

"So these are the munchkins that made me a great Grammy?" My Grammy trailed over to us and examined my babies.

"Yep these are them. This is Josiah," I pointed to the carrier and continued. "And that's Jaxon," I gestured to the sleeping baby in Carly's arms. My Grammy hardly talked to me my whole pregnancy and she didn't bother to drive a few miles to see the twins at all this week. Her talking to me now makes me nervous.

"They're cute," she said simply and threw a smile on her face. "Have you been talking to Brandon?" She asked and I stared at her confused for a few moments before it clicked who Brandon is. I haven't talked to him since I was four months pregnant.

"Grammy I don't have time for Brandon. I have two sons to care for now," I told her and took Jaxon from Carly and cradled him in my arms as Carly wandered away.

"I've heard that he really liked you but felt like he would be a bother since you were expecting," she explained and I sort of blocked her words out. I'll let her think I'm listening but she should be encouraging that the boys remain my main priority.

"Oh, but I have two sons now. Nobody is going to want to date me," I tried to shut down the topic but my Grammy is one of the most persistent women I know.

"I think you should talk to him. I wouldn't want to see you throw away your life any further," she said. I immediately took offense. "I'm not talking about your babies. I'm talking about him," she said, meaning Cole.

"I have far too much on my plate, being a mom and Cole is a work in progress," I told her hoping she'd leave me alone.

"Brandon is a gentleman. He likes children and is very handsome and rational unlike Cole," she went on.

"I think Cole is very handsome," I interrupted and shushed Jaxon as he wiggled. It's almost feeding time.

"Yeah well it is that kind of thinking that landed you in this situation," she said as she started to get fed up with me.