❁tuna melt

*John Quincy Adams Middle School History classroom*

"The Korean War." Cory said. 

"Genghis Khan." Farkle said suddenly causing me to jump a little. Lucas let out a laugh and I glared at him.

Cory gave Farkle a weird look. "What?"

Farkle shrugged. "I just wanted to see what would happen."

Katy walked into the classroom. "Hello, Cory Matthews. I am so sorry for interrupting."

Maya groaned. "Oh no."

Cory smiled at Katy. "Nothing to forgive, Katy. Class, this is Maya's mother, Katy Hart."

"Mom, what are you doing?" Maya questioned. "It was yesterday."

Katy started talking in a weird accent. "Yesterday I was unable to attend your little job fair."

"Career day." Maya corrected.

Katy ignored her. "Yesterday I was trapped... in my vehicle... in the rushing flood waters of the mighty Colorado river! To make matters worse, I just found out I was about to have a baby any second. So I crawled myself through the sunroof and I said, "Let's do this thing." Then I commenced to deliver my own baby until finally I heard that wonderful, magical sound." She made popping sound and mimicked baby crying. "Mama? Are you my mama?"

My eyes widen. "Maya?" I asked in confusion.

"Soap opera." Maya replied. "She was auditioning for a soap opera."

"Can you believe I didn't get it?" Katy questioned.

'Yes!" The class answered. I kind liked Katy, but I hate how she wasn't always there for Maya. But at least she had a mother...

Katy laughed. "Yes. I am an actress. Are there any questions I can answer for anyone?" Farkle raised up hand. She called on him. "Ah, yes, the Farkle."

"Why are you wearing a waitress outfit?" Farkle asked her.

Katy clapped her hands together. "Anyone else?" Lucas raised his hand. "Yes, the pretty, young man right there."

Lucas smiled. "Yeah, thanks. Um, why are you wearing a waitress outfit?"

Sarah spoke up. "My dad says actors are a bunch of people who never grew up." 

Katy chuckled. "What does your dad do?"

Sarah smiled. "He's a director."

"Is he?" Katy laughed. "Well, I'm sure your father never gave me a job either, which is the real reason I wear this outfit every day. Well, I'll just be going now." She walked out of the classroom.

Riley and I walked out the door to meet Maya's mother in the hallway. Katy shook her head. "No, no, no. I shouldn't have come."

"You did fine, you showed up." I told Katy.

"I showed up a day late." Katy said. "I couldn't even get that order right."

Riley smiled at her. "I know that Maya appreciated the effort."

Maya walked into the hallway. "Hi, mom."

Katy smiled. "Hey, Maya."

"Could I ask you a favor?" Maya asked.

Katy nodded. "Of course, anything."

"I think it works best for us when you go on your imaginary auditions and chase our imaginary father. I appreciate your coming, I do. And I'm not humiliated." Maya smiled at her mom. "I'm not. I'm- I'm okay. You okay?" Katy nodded. "Good." She walked away.