❁father

*Nighthawk Diner*

Riley, Cory and I sat at a booth and hid behind menus. Shawn walked in while Katy was wiping the counter. "Katy?" Shawn asked.

Katy looked at him and motioned at her name tag. "That's what it says right here. Yeah?"

"Hi." Shawn said to her. Hi? That was all he had? Hi?

Katy smiled a little. "Hi. What'll it be?"

"Oh, me?" Shawn questioned, laughing a little. "I'll have some birthday cake." There you go. That was way better than hi.

Katy looked at him in surprise. "What?"

"What kind of mom are you, Katy?" Shawn asked a little harshly. Oh no. Shawn, you better calm down.

"What?" Katy questioned and placed her hands on her hips. "Hey, unless your business with me is tuna melt, meatloaf or pie, you can walk your nosy little butt right out of here. Who are you, buddy?"

"My name's Shawn Hunter."

Katy took a step back. "Whoa."

Shawn frowned. "What do you mean, whoa?"

"You're the guy Maya doesn't stop talking about, the Matthews' friend." Katy said. "You guys all went on a family weekend together. She had a really good time and I appreciate it. Thank you very much." I knew Katy really loved and cared about Maya. She was a single mom, of course she was going to have a hard time.

Shawn smiled a little. "You're welcome."

Katy pointed a finger at him. "And if you ever question my motherhood again, I will smash a plate over your head."

Shawn let out a laugh. "You know what, lady? You already don't like me, so I'm just going to keep talking, okay? Today is Maya's birthday. What are you doing here since first thing this morning?"

Katy laughed. "You're right. I don't like you at all."

Riley whispered. "Show's over."

"Wait, why?" I asked, not taking my eyes off Shawn ans Katy. "It just started to get good!"

"Let's move." Cory whispered. Riley grabbed me and we left the Diner.

I smiled a little. "I think they like each other."

Riley looked at me. "Were you not listening? She clearly said that she doesn't like Shawn."

"Oh Riley, my sweet, innocent Riley." I hung my arm around her shoulders. "You clearly don't understand. They are both being stubborn, but just you wait."

*Mathew's apartment*

When we got back to the Mathew's, I got a text from Liam telling me to call him right away. I excused myself and went out into the hallway to call Liam.

He picked up after the first ring. "Andy."

"Hey Liam, what's up. Is everything okay?" I asked him in concern.

"You and Abby are going to be staying with the Friars tonight." Liam told me.

I frowned, "wait why?" Why in the world would Liam let Abby and I stay with the Friars? He didn't even know them that well.

"Something important came up. Daniel and I are going out of town." Liam explained, "we'll be back hopefully by tomorrow night."

"What's so important that requires both you and Daniel to leave the city?" I questioned. "And why the Friars? Why not the Mathews or Harts?"