❁crazy hat

*Bleeker Street Subway Station*

Maya, Riley and I quickly ran down to the subway. Riley was wearing a green trash bag to keep her clothes from getting wet. We had to chase her down because a garbage man thought she was a bag of trash. Maya was holding her green trash bag over her head and I was doing the same thing.

Once we got to the subway, I threw the trash back into a garbage can. Maya did the same. Riley kept her's on. How was her hair still mostly dry? Was she magic?

Riley looked over at the bench where Crazy Hat was sitting. "There she is again."

I looked at Crazy hat. "Crazy hat's always here."

"What do you think her deal is?" Riley asked. "Former movie star? Olympic figure skater?"

"Bum on a bench." Maya smiled.

Riley motioned to Crazy Hat. "But look at how she looks at everyone. What goes on in a head like hers? I guess we'll never know." She sighed.

I smiled. "Hey, crazy hat!" I walked over to Crazy Hat. "What goes on in your head?"

Riley sighed, "and a new adventure begins." Maya and Riley followed me.

"You, you and you, c'mere!" Crazy hat called us over. "I'll teach you about life." I sat down next to her and Maya sat on the other side of her.

Riley stood by us and shook her head. "Can't. Stranger. You want me to sit on the bench, I'm gonna need three forms of identification."

A cop nearby spoke to us. "Trust me. I know who she is. She's all right."

Riley grinned. "Okay, copper." She sat down next to me.

"Hey!" The cop scolded. "That's officer copper to you." He looked at Crazy Hat and smiled. "Mornin', Evelyn. Never gonna stop rainin', is it?"

Crazy Hat smiled. "That's okay, Eugene. These three little dollies are about to give me one of their designer ponchos."

I let out a small laugh. "They aren't designer."

Riley took a green trash bag from her backpack. How many did she have. "They're garbage bags, Eugene. But you have to put a hole for your head."

Eugene smiled. "Ah, so you can breathe."

Riley shook her head. "So the garbage man doesn't throw you out."

Maya nodded, "yep, that happened."

"I was yelling, but he didn't care." Riley explained.

"We rescued her from the truck." I smiled.

Riley smiled. "They chased me all the way to 33rd street."

Eugene chuckled. "Wow, now those are friends. Me? I don't chase nobody for nothin'."

I looked at him curiously. "What if I stole an orange?"

"I'd be very disappointed in you." Eugene said to me.

I looked down and pouted. "Okay."

"I have observed you that three are good friends." Crazy Hat said.

Maya smiled at her. "Don't miss a thing, do you, Crazy hat?"

Crazy Hat took the green trash bag from Riley. "No, I don't. Now you're about to be late for school, and I'm about to be late for addressing the United nations. Have a good day, dollies. Be good people, learn all you can." She walked off.

"How does that happen to someone?" Riley asked us. "Do you think that could ever happen to us?"

"Well, at least nothing worse than that could ever happen." Maya said.