❁buckley

*John Quincy Adams Middle School Classroom*

"Hello." Lucas turned to face the class. "I'm Lucas Friar. My great-grandpa used to do that. He was a man named Merlin Scoggins. And this record was a big hit."

Cory smiled. "That's amazing, Lucas. Why didn't you ever tell us any of that?"

Lucas laughed. "Yeah, I'm gonna tell Andy and Maya I have a country-singing great-grandpa and that I actually do come from cowboys. Yeah, because I need more nicknames to go with Hopalong, Sundance and Ranger Rick."

I shook my head. "No, I'm done with that. I am so impressed with your rich, Texas heritage that I am officially throwing out all of those old nicknames forever." Maya looked at me and laughed.

Lucas looked at me and smiled. "Wow, thank you, Andy."

I smiled back. "No problem, Bucky McBoing Boing." Lucas sighed and shook his head.

Riley spoke up. "From what I can piece together, my great-grandmother Rosie McGee was a weird, little, wide-eyed goofball who only saw the best in everybody. Who's like that?"

Maya chuckled. "Nobody."

"I'd like to play you my great-grandfather's song." Lucas played a record.

A deep voice spoke. "Hello, I'm Merlin Scoggins." Country music started playing. "I ain't got change in my pocket but I see it on the streets there's been change on the faces of the people that I meet hey mister, brother, sister could you spare a man some change."

*1961*

The mystery man sang. "Hey, mister brother, sister can you spare a man some change?" Everyone clapped when he finished.

The mystery man walked over to the table Ariana and her friends were sitting at. "This seat taken?" He asked the girls.

Rosie grinned. "By you. See what I did?"

May smiled at her. "Yeah, you're not a normal girl at all."

"I liked your song, ma'am." Merlin complimented.

May smiled. "I liked yours."

Merlin smiled at Ariana. "I liked your poem."

Ariana smiled back. "I liked your song."

He looked at Rosie. "And what do you do?"

Rosie shrugged. "Ah, who knows?"

"She's an observer of humanity." May informed him.

Merlin chuckled. "Well, we need those."

The café owner walked over holding a camera. "The observer, the singer, the writer, and the mystery man." He took a picture of the four new friends. "That's gotta be worth something to somebody someday."

Merlin smiled. "Well, thank you all for your kind words and I'll be on my way."

Rosie grinned widely. It was almost scary. "Oh, do you have to go?"

"I try not to stay any place too long Especially when people do that." Merlin said in discomfort.

"Stay here with this one too long and she might change us for the better." May said.

"Aww." Rosie chuckled.

Merlin chuckled as well. "Yeah, anyway You keep writing down those observations." He looked at May. "And you, you keep playing."

"What, my new song, "why bother trying, I'll never be as good as you guys"?" May said dully. Ariana gave her a sympathetic smile. 

Rosie frowned. "That's a very discouraging title."