Chapter Four : "Dark"

A few moments later , Captain Weaver talked to Hal and to every single one that just came back from patrol . "All right everyone! To the meeting room now!" he shouted and then all the soldiers , including Jimmy and I went there to listen to what he has to say. "They've seen alien activity 10 miles away from here. Fortunately, they're moving further. But we can't take any chances. We're leaving tomorrow morning and head north near the forest and the river bank." he said and then pointed at the map for our direction.

 "But for tonight , we're gonna hit the city. Check for things that can still be used , supply is running low. We need to refill it. Have I made myself clear?" he asked.

 "Yes Sir!" we all replied and then left the tent.

..............................................................................................................................................................................

  Allison's P.O.V

 Dr. Glass came back a few moments later and asked if 'm hungry. "No, I'm good" I told her and then smiled. "Seems like you're thinking way too much" she added.

 "Yeah , but I guess it's normal because my brother's missing"

 "You got a point" she said and then asked me if I could rub water on the lips of the other patients using cotton buds. "Of course" I said and then got the cup. I decided to ask about Ben , since he saved me and all but for the most , I feel a lot better when he's around.

 "What do you know about Ben?" I asked Dr. Glass.

 "Looks like someone's got a crush" Lourdes teased. I can't help but smile a bit , "I just wanna know him" I told her. She then nodded and continued what she's doing.

 "How do you do this? You know , I bet all of us lost people that we dearly love. How do you remain so strong?" I asked them as I noticed these past few days that they're moods are a lot better than most of the people that I met

 "Hope" Dr. Glass said and then added "All we can do is hope and fight until they all leave. We can't do anything about those who died , yeah our hearts are still broken and we can't stop thinking about them or thinking about how things should have turned out differently, but what can we do? . They came here and killed almost humans , we're the ones left to fight, now is not the time to get weak".

 "You're all great" I said.

 "So , between the three of us. Why do you wanna know Ben?" Lourdes suddenly asked and then stood beside me. "I don't know . To me , he seems like he's going through something that we don't fully understand. The spikes on his back is like one of the main reasons for it , I just wanna be there for him" I told her.

 Then Dr. Glass and Lourdes told me everything about Ben and his family.

................................................................................................................................................................................

 We arrived at the city a bit past sunset. Captain Weaver , Pope and the rest of the Bezerkers went to gather supplies and attract aliens. Me, Jimmy, Maggie, Dai, Hal, Anthony and some soldiers are left in a building , we're gonna wait for them to come back and once they arrived we're gonna kill all the aliens that followed them.

 "Ben you're only gonna fire when I say so . Okay?" Hal asked and then looked at me.

 "Yeah whatever" I said.

 "Ben, this is important." Maggie added.

 "I know"

 After maybe an hour , we heard cars and motor bikes coming , it must be them. "Alright, position" Dai said and we all stood up and pointed our guns on their way. "Incoming!!" Pope shouted and then split up and took cover.

 The Mechs came first , we fired at them . Boom! there goes one . But one of them managed to hit some of the soldiers below , then at least a dozen skitters followed.

 "Captain!! They're too many!!" Hal shouted.

 "Ready the grenade launcher!!" he said and then Maggie got it and pointed it at the Mechs and the Skitters. Me and Jimmy are trying my best to shoot as many skitters as we can , preventing them to go anywhere near Captain Weaver and his team.

 "3 ... 2... 1..." She whispered and then pulled the trigger. The Mechs are torn to pieces and the Skitters are toast.

 "Yeah!" Jimmy shouted in joy.

 "Alright , we have 10 minutes before the beamers come. Move!" Captain Weaver said and then all of us picked up our things. I suddenly noticed a movement behind a car, a skitter is alive. I trued to shoot it but I can't get a clear shot.

 "Ben, What are you doing?" Hal asked.

 "Just a sec" I said and then jumped of the building. I pulled out my knife and approached the skitter. "Ben! Hey!" Hal shouted.

 "I said just a second!"

 As soon as I got to the skitter, it leaped on me but I was able to stab it in the neck. I can feel it trying to pull away, but I didn't let go. It's screaming in pain , but it's like music to my ear. Then it stopped moving, it's dead.

 Hal was able to go down, ''What the hell were you thinking? Let's go" He said. Then I heard something move 15 feet away , it's another skitter. I immediately shoot it and it fell dead. "Ben .." Hal said annoyed.

 But the skitter is not alone , there is something with it moving in there. The figure came forward and I saw who it is. My heart sunk .... "Dad?".

 "Ben" he said and fell , he's got a wound on his right belly. I shot him.