Chapter Eighteen : "An Inch Away from Death"

After I changed my clothes , I rushed back to the bus to see Jimmy but Anne said they're still doing an operation on him that's why I need to be out. I was holding the compass he gave me while I was walking towards the canteen , the weather's extra chilly that's why we all need to eat something hot.

 I can feel all of them looking at me, they're blaming me I know it. I sat down  at one of the chairs and everyone else just moved away , including Hal. I can see him looking at me and whispering to Maggie. "If you're gonna say something say it to my face" I said to him and he looked at me.

 "What are you talking about?"

 "Don't act so naive Hal. Just say what you want to say about me but tell it to me directly" I said to him and he stood op and walked to me.

 "What's your problem Ben?"

 "Everything" I said and then stood up , eyeing him. Thankfully Maggie pulled him away , because we're only 10 seconds away from fighting each other.

 I left the canteen and walked back to the bus only to see that the operation is done. Jimmy is just there , still unconscious in the bed. Then suddenly, I saw Dad come up to the bus.

 "How are you feeling Ben?"

 "I'm okay. Jimmy's not"

 "It's not your fault you should know that"

 "It is , I can see how everyone looks at me , they're all blaming me. Matt, Hal ... and even you" I said and then looked at him.

 "No, we don't"

 "Fine whatever"

==================================================================

Allison's P.O.V

 I've been wanting to talk to Ben because I wanna know how he's feeling. But I can see he's not in the mood to talk. I walked past Captain Weaver's tent and I heard him talking to Prof. Mason about us.

 "I thought she's supposed to be saving him?" Prof. Mason asked.

 "That's the plan" Capt. Weaver replied. What plan are they talking about? Am I only partnered with Ben because my main role is to distract him?.

 "What are we gonna do?"

 "I don't know Tom. Ben brought this down on themselves"

 "Don't blame my son on this Dan"

 "Who am I gonna blame then??!!!. Ben confessed Tom"

 "I know but it's not fair"

 "I know it's not!!" he then shouted. I quickly ran away from the side of the tent and ended up in the bus where I saw Ben sitting on the side.

 "Ben?" I asked and then walked towards him.

 "Hey"

 "How are you?" I asked and then he just sighed. 'Jimmy's gonna be fine" I said to him and then touched his shoulders. "I hope so , if he never wakes up again , I will never forgive myself" he said and then looked at him.

 I feel so sorry for him so I hugged him really tight , just to let him know that I'm here. "We're gonna face things together okay? You and I Ben" I said and then smiled at him.

 Suddenly , we heard Lourdes calling for Dr. Glass. When we went inside the bus , we saw them pumping Jimmy's chest , an act that means he's dying. Ben looked at the machine and saw a flat line.

 "No No!" he said and then ran towards them. Lourdes got the oxygen while Dr. Glass is till pumping his chest. I turned around and saw Prof. Mason just came in.

 A few more moments have passed , nothing is sill happening. Lourdes looked to Dr. Glass and then Prof. Mason held her hands , telling her to stop reviving him because he's gone.

 "No! Keep doing it!" Ben said.

 "He's gone Ben" Dr. Glass said to him, I looked at Ben and saw how flustered his face is. Then he suddenly ran out of the bus.

 "Ben!" I called out to him and then looked at his Dad. "Please go with him" he said , I nodded and then ran outside.