Chapter Twenty Three : "Temporary Happiness"

Allison's P.O.V

 Several weeks have passed and I noticed that Ben is finally feeling better , for real. Yesterday , we went to the city and crashed a former theater. I'm glad that he's finally returning to his old self.

 If there's another person that I'm really worried about right now , it's Cody. He's showing more and more signs of being exactly like Ben. All I want for my brother is to be accepted by the 2nd Mass and be safe.

 We we're at the bus for his check up , a few minutes after I told him to go out and play with Matt as Dr. Glass and I have something to talk about.

 "When are you planning to tell him? she asked as soon as Cody left the bus.

 "I don't know Anne. Cody's been through a lot and if he finds out that he may not be human anymore , he'll flip over"

 "But just make sure that you'll be there for him Allison. You've seen how Ben's mind work , it's very complicated" she said and she's looking at the other patients.

 "I know. I'm just finding the perfect time"

 "I suggest you tell it soon , the changes he's been telling us is actually giving me the creeps" she then said pertaining to what Cody said abotu him being able to stick to walls and ceiling, just like what skitter does.

 "I will" I said to her.

 "Anyway , I heard it's gonna be your birthday 3 days from now" Anne said. I almost forgot , I still do have a birthday coming up.

 "I know .. it's crazy . I didn't realized birthdays still work these days"

 "They do , but of course they are not the same as before" she said and smiled at me.

 "How old are you then?" she then asked.

 "18 .. I kept telling people that I'm just 16 or 15 and they always buy it"

 "Yeah? why do you do that?"

 "Because I do have such a baby face and being 16 or 15 is much easier especially when you meet a cute guy but he's actually younger than you"

 "So that's the purpose?"

 "Yeah" I said and then we both laughed.

========================================================================

 I went to the bus to give Allison her early birthday present , it's the picture of the two of us together and something else. She helped me get through so many things , this is just the start of my payback for her.

 "Hey" I said as soon as I saw her talking to Anne.

 "Hi Ben" she repleid and then looked at Anne and walked towards me.

 "What do you want? Do we have a mission?" she asked as we both got out of the med bus and started walking.

 "Actually .. No"

 "Then why did you call me?"

 "To give this" I said and then handed her the picture. I looked at her reaction and it's the most precious one that I've seen for quite some time. She's tearing up.

 "Aww thank you" she said and then kissed me on the cheeks.

 "That's not all"

 "Really?"

 "Yeah come with me" I said and then pulled her towards my tent. "Wow" that's all she can say after seeing the dress that I got for her.

 "Where did you get this?" she asked.

 "Remember last week? When we stumbled upon a boutique? This is on one of their boxes on the basement" I told her and then she ran to me and we kissed. Even if there's an alien war going on , Allison is still a girl that's why she needs to be treated like one.

 "But I didn't see you bring this?" she then asked afterwards.

 "I came back that night" I said and then she chuckled. "Now all we need are shoes" I said and then she just laughed. Allison told me that she used to collect shoes and I know how much it'll mean to her if I'll be able to scavenge for a decent pair of shoes to partner with her dress.

 "You have an impeccable taste when it comes to dresses" she then said and held it up.

 "Well what can I say? After spending hours of talking to you about fashion, I think I learned something" I said and then she laughed again and playfully slapped me.

 "So, you'll wear this to your birthday okay?"

 "Fine" she then said.

 "Ben??" Matt suddenly called from outside the tent.

 "What, skitter bait?"

 "Dad wants to talk to you .. suckerfish" he said and walked away. I looked at Allison , she nodded at me and then I grabbed her hand and walked out of my tent.