Chapter five : "All Night Long"

Me and Hal rushed towards Dad. "You're alive?" we asked. I can't believe what I felt at that moment , it's a mix of happiness and guilt because I accidentally shot him.

 "What the hell are you thinking Ben?" Hal asked while we're both trying to lift Dad.

 "What's taking you so long?" Captain Weaver asked as he's running towards us.

 "It's Dad! He's Alive" I told him and he too, helped us lift him to the truck. The Beamers have arrived that's why as soon as we load him there , we rushed back to the camp.

 "Tom?? The hell??" Pope said while we're on the way.

 "Yeah. Got a problem with that?" I asked him.

 "No.. I don't have any problem with that ... Razorback" he siad and then he laughed a bit.

 I was ready to give him a taste of his own medicine but Captain Waver told him to "shut his mouth hole".

 "It's an accident. It was dark , there was a skitter . I shot it and then Dad came out from it's back" I explained to him but he said "It's okay Ben. But the next time, when I say leave. All of us will leave, Understand?" he asked.

 "Yes Captain" I said.

 "If only you listened to me" Hal said and then looked at me , very annoyed.

..............................................................................................................................................................................

Allison's P.O.V

 Today was a very long day. Lots of kids are sick, it kinda reminds me of the old days when Cody and our little cousins decided to play in the rain and they ended up getting high fevers afterwards. I really miss him, as soon as I get comfortable with holding a gun I promise I'll find him. I'll look for him no matter what it takes.

 Then suddenly, I heard loud noises coming from outside. The patrol are back. I quickly opened the door and saw Captain Weaver carrying a wounded man.

 "Anne! We got Tom!!" he shouted and then I stepped back and let them through.

 "It's an accident!" I heard Ben saying it over and over again. "Lay him down on the table" DR. Glass said and she started checking up the man. "Dad!" I heard Matt shouted , so this is Tom Mason. Their dad ... but did Ben shot him?

................................................................................................................................................................................

 As soon as we got back to the camp , Captain Weaver and Dai brought Dad to the bus. "It's an accident , it was dark , I didn't see him-" I tried to explain to them but they are not listening.

 "Anne you have to believe me. I didn't see him!" I told Anne.

 "Ben .. I have to go " she said and then went inside. As soon as I enter the bus , I saw him lying down there. He's bleeding.

 "No exit wounds" she said as she's trying to locate the bullet.

 "Sorry Tom but I have to go in .. I can't stop the bleeding if I don't know where the damn bullet is" she said and then looked at him.

 "Ben, I'm really sorry but we need to operate on your father. I'll keep you posted" Allison said and then closed the curtain on me.

 "I got out of the bus and just looked at their silhouettes through the curtain , a few moments later Maggie came out.

 "How's Dad?" I asked.

 "I don't know Ben. But don't blame yourself okay? This is not your fault" she said and then walked to Hal who's at Dad's bunker , getting him extra clothes.

 I just sat out there , waiting for the news. I will never ever forgive myself if something bad happens to Dad.

..................................................................................................................................................................................

Allison's P.O.V

 Mr. Mason have lost a lot of blood , she needs to close the wound quickly or he'll die. After about an hour or so , he's finally stable and the wound is closed. I quickly got out of the bus and looked for Ben. I saw him standing at the top of an old school bus at the edge of the camp.

 "Hey!" I called out to him and he jumped down.

 "How's Dad?" he asked.

 "Wait .. how did you?? I mean ?? That's a bus .. Anyway , your Dad is okay. He's stable" I told him and he smiled.

 "Well can I see him?" he asked.

 "Not yet. Maybe in the morning , he's passed out"

 "But he's safe right?"

 "He is" I said and then smiled.

 "So do you wanna tell me what happened?" I asked.

 "Okay" he said and then we both went inside the bus. "After we killed some aliens on the patrol. Captain Weaver told us to leave but I saw a moving skitter below so I jumped down and killed it. But then I saw another move in the dark, I think I shot it twice. One shot killed the skitter and the other one went to Dad" he said and then looked at me.

 "It's an accident. It's not your fault" I said and then smiled at him. I can feel that he's blaming himself, there is something about the way he looks or the way he talks about that says "It's an accident but it's my fault".

 I heard Lourdes calling out my name so I got up.

 "You're leaving?" he asked.

 "Yeah. Lourdes is calling me. But hey , your Dad is safe now. Don't be so hard on yourself" I said and then he smiled.

 After that, I made my way back to the bus.

...................................................................................................................................................................

 I wasn't able to get any sleep that night. I just stayed up and waited till Dad wakes up. Dr. Glass agreed that Me, Hal and Matt spend the night in the bus.

 It's almost morning , Hal and Matt are still sleeping. I pushed aside the curtain and saw Dad .. he's just about to wake up. "Ben?" he asked as soon as he opened his eyes.

 "Dad?" I said and then smiled at him.

 "I'm sorry" I added.

 "No. It's okay, come here" he said so I came to him and he gave me a hug. "Your father's strong" Anne said as soon as she wakes up. She spent the night at Dad's side.

 "Dad!" Matt called and then ran to him. "Miss me?" he asked then.

 "Of course Big man" Dad replied to him.

 "I'm glad you made it old guy" Hal said , smiling at him.

 That moment was enough justification to stop blaming myself for what happened last night. He is safe now. He's with us now ... and that's what matters.