Chapter Six : "New Beginnings"

Several minutes after Dad woke up , we ate breakfast on the bus. "I almost forgot what good food tastes like" he said, smiling at us. "I won't count that as good food" Hal said and then he laughed.

 "So how's everything? What happened to Fitchburg?" Dad suddenly asked.

 We all looked at each other , flashbacks of that night back in the school crossed our minds. I don't think Me, Hal or Matt will be able to tell him what happened , knowing how heartbroken he will get after hearing it.

 "Tragic" Anne suddenly said and then added "Just continue eating , I'll tell the story later". After we finished breakfast, Captain Weaver went to the bus.

 "Tom" he said assoon as he got in fornt of him.

 "Dan" Dad replied and then smiled to him.

 "I see Ben's also in the troop" he then added.

 "He insisted. Besides , he became one of our best fighters" Captain Weaver said and then looked at me. "I think we have a lot of catching up to do" he added and then looked at him.

 "Yeah ... Yeah. I suppose I still have to tell what happened on the ship"

 "Of course" Captain Weaver replied and then added "Right then , I'll leave all of you to have some sort of family reunion. And by the way Ben , after this .. go to the meeting tent"

 "Okay Captain" I said to him.

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Allison's P.O.V

 "That's Pork & Beans" Lourdes explained while we're walking back to the bus after eating breakfast. "Are you sure? To me it seemed like bean soup with 3 pieces of meat" I told her and then she laughed a bit.

 "Well .. we have to work with what we have" she then added.

 After we got into the bus , I saw the whole Mason family having a moment in there. "Hello Professor" Lourdes greeted as soon as we got in. "Hi Lourdes. How you've been?" he asked.

 "Good" she said and then smiled at him.

 "Lourdes, there's still soup in the cabinet. You and Allison should try it" Dr. Glass said to us. "Oh we're good" Me and Lourdes replied at the same time , causing them to chuckle at us.

 "Looks like you found a sister" Mr. Mason then said.

 "Yes.. this is Allison" Lourdes said and then pointed at me.

 "She's been great" Dr. Glass added.

 "Hi" Mr. Mason said.

 "Hello" I replied to him. I looked at Ben and saw that he's smiling , that's good.

.........................................................................................................................................................................

 After several minutes , I decided to come out of the bus and go to the meeting tent. I saw Jimmy walking towards there too.

 "Hey Jimmy!" I called out to him and he looked at me.

 "Hey!" he said and then I ran towards him and we went inside the tent.

 "Hello boys" Captain Weaver said.

 "Why did you want us here?" Jimmy asked.

 "We are going to move tomorrow. The patrol this morning reported Mech activity just a little over 8 miles from here. though there's no sign of them going to this direction any time soon , we can't take chances. I want to upgrade our defense system and soldier groups. That's why I reshuffled the people and assigned new assignments to them" he said.

 "So what's gonna happen?" I asked.

 "The thing is , Jimmy I assigned you to Tector's group. You're a great sniper , we need you on his group".

 "What about Ben?" he asked.

 "Ben .. you're still gonna go on missions on patrols but I'm assigning a new partner for you"

 "Who is it?" I asked.

 "Allison" he replied

 The hell? He's gonna assign a girl as my partner. "Captain , she can't even shoot. I don't even know if she can put bullets in a gun" I told him.

 "Maggie's been giving her secret lessons everyday. And I saw her on action , she's great and has a lot of potential"

 "But she is Anne and Lourdes's assistant on the bus"

 "We have other civilians to cover for her position. We need all the fighters we can get Ben" he replied and then I looked at Jimmy.

 "I guess that's it" he said and then walked out of the tent.

 "See you later Ben!" he shouted

 "But Captain , i don't think Allison as a soldier is a good idea"

 "Ben , you have to trust her. I made up my mind. You're now dismissed. Once you get back to the bus , you call Hal and if you see Maggie and Dai call them too" he said. I was about to go out of the tent when Allison walked in.

 "Hey Captain .. Hey Ben" she said and I just looked at her.

 "What's going on?" she asked.

 "You are now Ben's partner" Capt. Weaver said and then she looked at me .. obviously shocked.