Chapter 14 (Just revised)

Dominic

The swap was still going strong when I left; it was time to settle business of a different sort.  Beni picked up me and Fino, leaving Dante at the swap, Carlo was still posted at the bakery just in case Camille should decide today was the day she was coming home.  

On our way to Desideris I received a phone call from an informant who fed me information regarding activities in the city; he'd found Camille.  She was staying at a local hotel and was booked there, under an assumed name, for at least another week.  Hopefully I could take care of Colette and the bouncer by then and get her back in my life where she belonged.

As we got closer to the club I pulled my leather gloves out of my pocket, cracked my neck side to side and prepared myself for what I had to do.  Despite what people think I do not get off on taking a life; to me it is a necessary part of what I do and who I am.  And if I said it once, loyalty is the foundation to our family; if I can't trust you, you don't belong in our business.

I followed Beni and Fino down to the basement where they had the bouncer tied and gagged. I watched his pupils dilate as soon as he figured out who I was; his eyes on me while I carefully removed my jacket and then my dress shirt, wearing a wife beater underneath.  I glared at him for a bit and then pulled on my gloves, grabbed a chair and let the legs drag across the floor making a scraping sound. 

"Do you know who I am?" my voice deathly quiet. He nodded. "Do you know why you are in this situation?" Again he nodded. "Your actions could have cost me my relationship with the Russians, plus there were innocents in that restaurant as well as my girlfriend" my voice was like venom. "What.the.fuck.were.you.thinking?" I asked, making sure to enunciate my words. My prisoner said nothing so I removed his gag. "Beni, next to being honest and loyal, what is my other pet peeve?"

 "Repeating yourself, Boss" my under boss answered. The bouncer's breath was ragged as I repeated my question.

 "I...I did it for Colette. Alexi was not the target. Your girlfriend was" he said finally.

I lost my mind as I started pounding into him; his words pushing me over the edge. I walked over and grabbed a bat from the corner, swinging it in my hand, sweat running down my brow. 

"Now, think carefully" I warned. "Why?" The man shrugged and I swung, the bat connecting with his ankle and the sickening crack of his bone echoing off the concrete walls followed by cries of pain. 

"She'd heard about your interest in the girl and felt threatened by her" he gasped, throwing his head back in pain. 

"Did you ever once think of coming and telling me about this?" I questioned. He shook his head slowly teetering between consciousness and unconsciousness. "Where is she?" I asked. I'll give him this, he was stubborn and loyal to that bitch but he finally gave it up and I nodded at Beni who walked behind him with a garrote and put him down. "Get this cleaned up and take out the trash" I ordered while wiping my face, arms and chest down with a towel; I pulled my undershirt off and replaced it with my dress shirt. "I need a drink" I told Beni as we headed upstairs.

I called Alexi and told him of the development and who the target really was.

 He chuckled and said "The things people do for a piece of patch. Just keep me informed and let me know when she's found" he asked. I said of course and we changed topics to the swap. "It was well put together, again, my friend. The merchandise was top quality" he said. 

"Beni always does me proud" I responded. We spoke about a few other matters then hung up. "Alexi was pleased with the swap" I said slapping Beni on the back. He grinned as he smiled at Barbie.

 "The usual, B?" she asked smiling at him. He nodded as she poured our whiskey and sat the glasses in front of us. We ended up drinking for a solid hour before Fino had to take me home; Barbie said she would take care of Beni. I knew she would too.

"Alright, Dom, let's get you inside" Fino said gently.  There were very few times that Fino called me by my given name but he was one of the few who could get away with it.  

"Why would Colette betray me like that?" I questioned slurring my words. 

 "I dunno, Boss" he answered truthfully and letting my housekeeper Amelia know I would need lots of strong coffee later.  

"Si, Mr. Fino" she said.  "Come on, Mr. Dominic" she called "Let's get you too bed."  She walked ahead of Fino and got the covers pulled back and then she removed my jacket as Fino laid me down and helped Amelia remove my shoes and socks. 

 "I'll put out some pain killers and water" she told my capo. "He'll need them later" she said knowingly.  I was already on my way out when she pulled up the comforter.  "Rest, Mr. Dominic" she whispered shutting the door.  Tonight I would, for the first time in weeks.

"Damn you would think I'd learn by now" I moaned, my head splitting in two, thankfully I spotted the painkillers and water sitting on my bedside dresser.  "Thank you, Amelia" I mumbled as I swallowed the pills.  I lay there for a minute and then got up and headed for the shower; it'd be quick today.  

When through, I put on black sweatpants and a grey wife beater and headed downstairs and hopefully some food. 

 "Good morning, Mr. Dominic" Amelia's gentle voice rang out.  

"Amelia" I said as I sat down.  "Thank you for the water and aspirins" I told her. 

 "You're welcome, sir" she responded and brought me a plate with waffles, eggs and turkey bacon plus coffee.  I ate like a man starved.  My mind was in overdrive this morning as business matters rattled around in there.  I pushed back from the table and went to get started on my day; I needed time with my punching bag and headed to my gym to work out some stress.