Chapter 24: Ace's Birthday

🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾🐾

Ace knew it was coming, the day he hated most in this world. Right after Christmas there was now a bright feeling in his heart that he had never truly felt before; he was so into that new feeling he forgot the day that comes quickly after it, his birthday.

New Year's Day was a day when everyone celebrated the beginning of a new year but for him it was a reminder that he was even allowed to be born into this world and he hated it.

Unfortunately for Ace Sabo mentioned this little fact to the loud and excitable Luffy and Luffy mentioned it to every passing person on the large ship. The one day he would like to forever forget was now about to be celebrated and he could do nothing to stop it.

"So I hear it's your birthday soon?" Thatch said leaning against a wall while Ace just closed his eyes and tried to keep calm

"And what of it? It's just another year, no big deal." He snarled to the man who looked shocked at this.

"Ace, this is a huge deal! You're turning 11 years old! Soon you'll be a teenager we need to celebrate your youth while we have the chance!" Thatch said dramatically ignoring the kids tone of voice for now, Ace rolled his eyes at the man in annoyance.

"Really, it's not a big deal. I'd rather no one actually remembered my birthday and just had a normal day." He said shrugging his shoulders and walking away. Thatch wasn't going to allow this to go on a kid not wanting to celebrate his own birthday, what was wrong with that child!? Thatch knew he would have to make it the best birthday yet.

Before Thatch could actually know how to celebrate the brat's birthday he would have to do some digging for information. Just why did the kid hate his birthday so much? Luffy loves his birthday heck even he loved his birthday-but will refuse to tell you his age. He knew that Luffy had no other information or he would have already given it up, but Sabo he just might be what Thatch was looking for.

Unfortunately for Thatch Sabo seemed to realize that the crew might want information and made himself as hard to catch as possible even using Luffy to escape from the many siblings on the ship. Thatch had been chasing the kid around for about a day when he finally cornered him.

"You can't out run me forever kid, I just want to talk." He said putting his hands up as a surrendering, peacemaking, friendly way in hopes the kid wouldn't pull some sort of Ninja stuff and disappear.

"I'll never say anything!" Sabo said defiantly making Thatch inwardly groan.

"I just want to know why Ace hates his birthday, it's not like I'm asking you to spill his life story." But Sabo refused to let up.

"If he has a reason then it's his reason to tell." He glared at the commander. Sabo knew Ace's reason even Luffy sort of knew Ace's reason but it was Ace's job to tell others not his or Luffy's.

"We just want to do a small celebration nothing big; I just want to know why he won't even let us do that." Thatch said softly and Sabo did feel bad about not telling them but still...

"I'm sorry, but it's not my place to tell you." Sabo sighed looking down now feeling guilty.

"If I asked Ace would he tell me the reason?" Thatch questioned the kid who shook his head.

"Most likely not, he hates his birthday almost as much as his-" Sabo's eyes widened and he placed his hands over his mouth and looked up at Thatch shocked. Thatch raised his brow at the kid hoping to get him to go on but Sabo took a step back and bolted away quickly.

"Well that was interesting... Almost as much as what dare I ask?" He was happy to have gotten a clue even if it was unintended.

Later that day Thatch caught up to Luffy who looked up at him with bright sparkling eyes.