If Only

~Max~

"Oh Oh oh, there's a place that I know
It's not pretty there and few have ever gone
If I show it to you now
Will it make you run away?

Or will you stay
Even if it hurts
Even if I try to push you out
Will you return?
And remind me who I really am
Please remind me who I really am"

As we bump along in the quiet cab, I rest my head on Chloe's shoulder, blasting some sad Kelly Clarkson song.

We're finally on our way home from the hospital after staying an additional few days. Apparently, the doctors just wanted to give me a few days to get used to breathing and walking on my own again. My main doctor, Doc Havey, as Chloe calls him, insisted the I be sent home in a fucking wheelchair.

Yeah... fuck that noise.

But... after yet another heated argument with Chloe (which ended in us kissing) I gave in, knowing that It would make Chloe feel better knowing that I wasn't going to overdo myself.

I yawn a little, closing my eyes and nuzzling my cheek against Chloe's shoulder. She smiles and rests her head up against mine, intertwining our fingers together.

"Everybody's got a dark side
Do you love me?
Can you love mine?
Nobody's a picture perfect
But we're worth it
You know that we're worth it
Will you love me?
Even with my dark side?".

"Max..." Chloe whispers, brushing her hand against my face, "Hey, you awake?".

I let my eyes flutter open, as I sit up, pulling my earbuds out as I do so. "Yeah. Just... shutting my eyes for a bit,".

"Well, we're home now so you can take a nap. Come on, I'll help you get out,".

I sigh and watch as Chloe hops out of the car, rounding the side and pulling that god-damned wheelchair out of the trunk. It's odd, seeing her pushing a wheelchair instead of being in it.

I swallow audibly and scoot over to the open door, allowing Chloe lift me up and out of the cab, settling me down in the chair. It's kinda humiliating, asking for help even though I'm pretty sure I can handle getting out of a car on my own, but... I don't say anything.

Anyways, as Chloe pays the taxi driver, I put my earbuds back in and shut the world out.

"Like a diamond
From black dust
It's hard to know
What can become
If you give up
So don't give up on me
Please remind me who I really am

Everybody's got a dark side
Do you love me?
Can you love mine?
Nobody's a picture perfect
But we're worth it
You know that we're worth it
Will you love me?
Even with my dark side?

Don't run away
Don't run away
Just tell me that you will stay
Promise me you will stay
Don't run away
Don't run away
Just promise me you will stay
Promise me you will stay

Will you love me? Ohh"

I keep my eyes closed when I feel my wheelchair beginning to move, figuring Chloe is wheeling me inside our apartment building.

She's been quiet ever since we left the hospital, and I'm beginning to worry that my stubbornness is starting to pissing her off. I mean, I know she's pissed at... something, I can tell. What's more worrying is that Chloe's known for letting her rage show and she hasn't even given me an annoyed sigh or pissed off stare.