The Return

~Chloe~

-October 4th-

I decide to park a few blocks away from away from my house so that we can surprise my parents since they're expecting up early tomorrow morning. I let out a long deep sigh, never in my life have I been so happy to be home. Max reaches over and grabs my hand, rubbing my knuckle. "Ready?" she asks, sensing my hesitation to leave the truck. I nod and swallow hard, "Y-yeah....I-I'm ready". We grab our bags and hop out, walking slowly down the sidewalk. "Just remember, don't say anything about our relationship, Okay?" Max reminds me. I nod, "My lips are sealed". My neighborhood hasn't changed much in the past year, in fact, the tornado barely even touched it. My house doesn't look too different either, except... as we get closer I notice that the rest of the house has been painted, a job William never finished when he was alive. I take another deep breath as we walk up the pathway leading to the front door, Max following close behind. 'You got this, Chloe' I tell myself, 'Just knock on the door... that's all you have to do.... Just a light knock...that's it'. I knock on the door. As if she were waiting on the other side, Mom opens the door immediately and throws herself into my arms... she's crying. "Chloe... Oh, my sweet baby girl... Oh Chloe....*sigh*, Chloe". I let the bags in my hands fall to the ground as I hug her back. "I-I missed you so much, Mom....God, I missed you" I cry, hugging her tighter. Joyce looks over at Max who joins the hug. "It's so good to see you, Joyce," she says. You know, to my mom... Max has always been like a second daughter to her. I mean, we did everything together, so much so that people have often mistaken us for sisters, they still do. Wonder how Mom would react when she finds out we're partners. Once we all pull away, Joyce looks at us and smiles, "My have you two grown... your hair isn't blue anymore, Chloe" she points out. "Yeah... I haven't dyed it in a few months, " I reply, allowing my mother to run her fingers through my long blond hair. "Good... you look better without it," She says, leading us inside and briefly telling us about their new dog who; at the moment; is tied up in the backyard. "I though your blue hair was pretty hot" Max whispers under her breath. "Shut up, nerd. You're gonna blow our cover" I reply quietly. "But I thought you said nerds were hot too, " She says in a flirty voice. I blush and jokingly punch her in the arm even though that's exactly what I said. "What are you two going on about?" Mom asks, turning to us curiously. "Nothing..."We answer in unison. She gives us an odd look as if trying to see if we're up to no good. "....Alright then. You two stay here while I go get David". Once we're alone, I sigh and rest my forehead against Max's. "Hey, what's wrong?" she asks. "Thank you," I whisper. "For what, coming with you? Chloe... Joyce and David are part of my family too. They deserve to see both of us...and... I'm sorry for being so Chickenshit about coming.. That was a bitch move". Max leans up and prepares to kiss me but she recoils when we hear the garage door slam shut. David comes running around the corner and grabs us both in a big bear hug. I tense up when he does this, I mean... sure David would hug me as a kid but it always felt so forced... and I never felt such a strong emotion as I do now. I... I hug him back. It's not that I hate David (even if he is a paranoid fuck) I hate the fact that my mother had clung to him so soon after my dad died. Then... It hits me... I had done the exact same thing with Rachael. After Max moved I had felt so lost and alone, but Rachael had come along and given me comfort, support, and friendship. Everything David has given Mom. Despite the fact that David has hurt me in the past, I'm willing to put all that behind us if he is too. "I- I love you, David," I say quietly. And you know what.... I really mean it.