XLI

Chris.

The Funeral.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I can't believe I'm getting ready to see my dad for the last time. If only I would've worked a little harder to get him out or worked harder to get him transferred to a better hospital.

But this is what happens when you live the life that we chose.

You end up dead or in jail.

Some days I wish I could find a way out. But I'm waist deep in this. Ain't no saving me.

I'm going to end up in this same position. My son can't be like me. I honestly don't even want him to know what I do.

I wonder if there is a way out.

Whatever that is I'll find it.

"Why aren't you dressed?" A voice asked.

I quickly turned around. Dani was standing in the doorway.

"You came." I walked up to her and hugged her.

"Yeah I wasn't about to leave you hanging."

"Thank you so much."

"No problem." She rubbed my back. "Get dressed or you'll be late."

I went and grabbed my suit and headed into the bathroom.

"I really appreciate you coming Dani. You didn't have to do this." I said loud of enough so she can hear.

"I got your back baby no matter what and you know that."

"You do man. That's why I gotta hurry up and give you this last name."

"You ready for that?"

"Hell yeah." I walked up to her. "I been ready."

"Whatever." She started fixing my shirt. "You look very nice.

"Thanks, I got me and my dad matching ties."

"Aww."

"Having you here is just making this easier."

"Good." She grabbed my face and kissed me. "I have something for you after the funeral and repass."

"A new car?"

"No. Speaking of cars, I think we need a truck."

"I'll get right on it." I kissed her. "Should I wear the brown shoes to match my tie of black."

"Brown."

"Just what I was thinking." I sat on the bed and put my shoes on. Then she came and stood in between my legs. "Look at that belly." I kissed it.

"Uh oh, he just kicked his little foot."

"I see you got ya mommas attitude." I pulled her down on my lap. "I love you." I kissed her cheek.

"I love you too. What do you wanna do after the funeral?"

"You, then I want you to cook for me, then I wanna do you again, then we can just chill. We gotta turn our phones off so nobody can bother us. I just wanna be with you."

"That's a good idea. Besides the doing me part. You cut off from this good good."

"Whaaaaat? For how long?"

"Until I'm ready to give it to you."

"You supposed to keep me happy today."