Chapter 14

After the New Years Eve party, life became a whirlwind for both Kaia and Marian.  

For Kaia it was meetings with management, finishing the itinerary for her media tour, fittings for outfits, rehearsals as she was going to sing at a few of the appearances.  It was all driving her batty.  She was up at the crack of dawn and to bed very late and Zayn was taking care of the twins.  Sometimes he would go along with her to give his opinion on outfits.  She was also still struggling with her guilt over what had happened with Liam.  She tried to keep it out of her mind, but some days were harder than most.

With Marian, it was daily visits to the doctors.  Being poked and prodded.  Blood drawn at every visit.  Scans done practically every other day.  Trying one medication after another along with her chemotherapy.  She was physically and mentally exhausted and she still was doing her best to be the best mum she could be to William.  Her parents were always there to help as was Louis as there were days she was so tired from her treatments she could barely pull herself out of bed.  Which resulted in many tears.  She knew deep down that she wasn't going to live and she wanted to have every moment she could with her son.  She found it hard sometimes to keep it together.  Especially when Harry or Kaia or even Zayn would call to say hi or to check on her.  Knowing that she would be leaving them as well tore at her every single day.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kaia pulled up in front of the house and waited for Marian.  She had asked her to lunch as they really hadn't spent much time together of late and with her and Zayn leaving soon for the States, she didn't know when they would have a chance to do it anytime soon.  When she called,  Marian was kind of stubborn and bucky about it until Louis took a hold of the phone and told Kaia to come when she wanted.  

Kaia hit the horn again.

Marian kissed William on the head, letting her lips linger on the softness of his hair.   She hated leaving him but Louis insisted on her going out for a girls lunch. He told her she needed it whether she liked it or not.  She needed to relax and not worry about her cancer. 

He held William close as he watched her head out of the house.  He hated seeing her so depressed and down.  He tried to do anything to cheer her up, but he would still catch her in William's nursery in the middle of the night, crying.

Marian waved at Kaia as she hit the horn once more and walked towards the car.

"Come on slow poke," Kaia teased as Marian got in the car and he started to drive away.  "I'm glad you decided to come to lunch with me. I need a distraction.  My mind is full of too much stuff."

"God you're always so much in a hurry," she said with a laugh.  "It's just hard for me to leave William even though  Louis and my parents are there."  She put her seat belt on and then couldn't help but shake her head.  What was the point she thought to herself.  "So how is the prep going for you big US debut?"

"You have a great support system Marian," she said as she drove them a short distance and then pulled into the parking lot of Caravan Kings Cross.  "It's alright I guess," she said as they got out of the car and made their way to the host podium. They were shown a quiet table in a corner and they sat down.

"I'm already exhausted and it hasn't even started yet." She said.  "Practically every news and morning show in every major city as well as radio stations.  Ryan Seacrest, Good Morning America, The Today Show," she rambled on.  "Oh, and Ellen.  Good God how could I forget about that!" She said exasperated.  "I think it's too much, but Simon and Zayn insist it isn't."  She began to look at the menu.  "Ellen is the last stop and the album is being released that day," she said.  "I'm scared shitless."