Chapter 5

We didn't see Carter for a couple of weeks after that. Dad had started training Jace and he wasn't taking it too well. According to Jace, it was too harsh but according to dad, Jace wasn't even doing half of what he used to make Carter do. Carter called us, on the home phone. He told us where he had kept some cash just in case we needed it, where everything was kept, where to order food from, how to work the laundry, etc. When he heard that dad started training Jace, he was beyond upset. I asked him when he would come back and all he said was SOON. 

He did come back, he seemed worn out though. Dad still made him wake up at 4 AM to train the day after he came back. Jace was no longer training. Carter avoided my dad as much as he could and now he was out most of the day as well. Carter was constantly stressed. This went on till right after my 12th B'day. 

Carter came to pick me up from school. He had gone to the office to pick something up that I later found out was my transcript. He asked us to pack only the necessities when we got home. Jace and I didn't understand.

Jace: "Are we going somewhere?"

Carter: "Yes, now don't ask questions. Just pack what is most important."

Jace:" Well how many days will we be gone?"

Carter: "Jace, we're never coming back. Now pack your bags."

Me: "WHAT? WHY?"

Carter: "Please you guys, don't ask too many questions, just do as I say."

We packed our valuables in a bag. When we went outside, Patrick, an old pack member was waiting for us in his wolf form. Carter asked Jace to climb on his back.  Carter asked me to climb him once he shifted. They ran for a long time and than stopped in a forest. Both of them went behind the trees and came back in human form.

Patrick: "I'll go back from here. You guys carry on."

Carter: "I really appreciate this. Are you sure you'll be alright?"

Patrick: "I'll be fine kid. What's the worst your father can do... kill me. I owe a lot to your mother so I'm just paying my debt back. Don't tell anyone where you are including me. Don't contact anyone from the pack. If I don't know anything, doesn't matter what alpha does to me, I won't be able to provide them with any information. You take care of your brother and sister. Good luck."

He started walking in the direction we came from. Now Jace and I were really confused and wanted answers. Carter said he will tell us everything we need to know once we get to the place we were to live at. He shifted back and now both Jace and I were riding his back with all the stuff. It must've been heavy but he didn't stop. 

Finally we arrived at our destination. It was a semi-detached house with 3 floors including a basement. We were renting the top, a couple was renting the basement and our landlords were living next door. They were an old couple. When you enter the place, there was a kitchen to the immediate right and a staircase going upstairs on the left. There were 3 bedrooms on the top with a common bathroom. Downstairs, when we go further from the kitchen, there was an island and a living room with 2 sofas and a TV. 

Carter was really tired so I decided not to ask him questions just yet. Jace started putting everything in without a word as well. Carter crashed on the sofa. After he woke up, I made him coffee and we sat down. He started telling us what was going on...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do vote if you like it!