Chapter 21

Jasmine's POV

I got a text from an unknown number during lunch. 

"I'll pick you up today after school - Kathy"

Oh, her phone has been activated. I saved the number and carried on with the day. In my math class, I realized that I had to go tutor today. If Kathy found out than she would definitely tell Carter. Great, now I had to come up with a plan so that I could tutor without having them find out. 

Kathy picked me up after school and we went to get the guys. On our way home she said that she was going to see a potential place for rent with Carter. Once we were home, the guys printed their resumes and cover letters for a few jobs after they got their phones working. They told me that they've already texted both Carter and Kathy that they were heading out with Jace to look for a job. Jace said he will get to work on his own directly so Carter can get there on his own. Well this worked out nicely... no one was home! I could leave and be back and no one would know.

I called Mrs. Bird to check if I could come early today and she agreed. I feared Kathy would be back before me if I went at my regular time. I had a two hour session again and as I left the neighbourhood to get to the bus stop,  I saw Carter's car pass by on the main street. The car stopped a few meters ahead of me. Shit, this was not going to be fun.

"Jazz, what are you doing here?" said Kathy getting out of the passenger side of the car.

"I... was... actually, I..." I tried to look for an excuse. I had thought of one earlier. If Carter or Jace were ever to come home earlier than usual, I was going to tell them that I had gone to the library but there are no libraries in close proximity here. 

"Okok... we'll talk about this later. Get in the car." she said opening the back door of the car. I took a deep breath and got into the back seat. 

"What were you doing here Jasmine?" Carter asked while driving.

"I... I was here to see a friend." that wasn't exactly the truth but I wasn't lying either. 

"Did we not make it clear yesterday for you? You could've called or texted. Who is this friend anyways?" Carter said. I was too busy thinking about a story to tell at this point.

"Jasmine! I asked you something." Carter said with his voice now starting to get harsh.

"Carter... can I talk to her later? There's no need to get harsh." Kathy said. Carter just looked at me through the back mirror with hurt eyes. I didn't mean to hurt him but I also knew that if I wanted to tutor, it would have to be without his knowledge. 

Carter drove to his campus. We were waiting for the twins here because they were applying here for a job. Kathy didn't say anything to me while we were waiting. On our way back home she told me and the twins that the deal had been finalized with the new place. She said the place was big and the price was affordable after negotiation so we could move there next week. 

After getting home, Kathy asked me to take a walk with her. I didn't really have much of a choice. We started walking into the forest. 

"Jazz, what's going on sweetheart? I know you didn't just visit a friend because if that was the case, you would've told us beforehand." she said.

"Kathy, if I tell you, can you promise not to tell Carter?" I asked. I thought coming out clean was a good idea.

"Ok, fine. I won't tell him." she said trying to keep the worry away from her voice.

"I tutor a girl named Lily Bird for math." I said. I could see the relief on her face.

"And...?" she asked.

"...and I know Carter doesn't approve of me working. The last time I tried baby-sitting, he said I was too young to work. Jace agreed with him too. They both bombarded me with questions like "do you need something? do you need money?" All I want to do is help. They work so hard and I feel like I don't do anything. Why is it so hard for them to understand? It's not like I'm dying of performing physical work..." I said explaining the situation.

"Aww... come here." She said giving me a hug. "Ok, I see your point. I also see your brother's point though. I'm not saying he's right or you're wrong but he loves you alot and just wants to give you everything your parents would've. How about I help you out with this one? You can either hide all this from him and hurt him OR we can both sit down and talk to him. I promise I'll try to convince him to allow you to tutor. If not, I'm sure we can arrange for something." She said winking. "The choice is yours." 

"How is it my choice when you put it like that?" I said "... But if I don't have to quit tutoring, I'm ok with you talking to him."  

"hahaha... hold up missy, WE will talk to him not ME alone." and we headed back. She was telling me about how the new place looked now.