Chapter 41

Carter's POV

I can't believe I was so close to blowing up at Jazz! This was going to take some effort to fix. I started thinking about what Damien Smith said to me.

Damien: "Ahh... Carter, it's good to see you."

Me: "I wish I could say the same. I'm here to get Jasmine, where is she?"

Damien: "Wow, you meet me after what... atleast a year, and this is how you greet me? How are you Jace?" he said with a smirk on his face. I wanted to fight him... and finish him. But I needed to do this the right way. Jace didn't say anything so I answered.

Me: "We want nothing to do with you, we just want Jasmine back."

Damien: "If you think you can just walk in and take MY daughter away from me, you must be crazy!"

Me: "Look, both of us know that you don't give a shit about your kids so let's just cut through the chase... what is it that you want?"

Damien: "First of all, I do care about my children... all of them. To answer your question, I need you. I want things to go back the way it was. All four of us living in the same house."

Me: "Jace, why don't you wait for me at the hotel. It seems like it was a mistake bringing you along. I'm sorry I brought you here."

Damien: "Why? He can stay..." Jace ignored him and left for the front door. Once I heard the door shut, I continued. 

Me: "Now you must be joking. What kind of a father are you anyways? Asking your son to sell drugs for a living and support rogues? Just when I thought you couldn't stoop lower..."

Damien: "You misunderstood me son. I need you for a CLEAN import-export business."

Me: "Oh please! Let's be realistic. You are never quiting the underworld. It's not easy to get out of it..."

Damien: "And you would know." he said cutting me "How long did it take you to get your network working again? After one year of no contact... equivalent to dead to this world... how long did it take you? Not even a day. Eventhough you say that you have left this world, this world will never leave you. You were, still are, and always will be a part of this world."

Me: "So is this why you kidnapped Jazz? To get to me?"

Damien: "Well, I figured that I'd convince you and you will come back with your siblings. Look, I will keep you away from my world, but if my enemies find out about you guys, they can and will use you guys to get to me. I just..."

Me: "Don't want your business to be hurt because of us? Don't worry, I've got it covered. It took you how long to get to me?"

Damien: "You know it's not all about business. Plus, you can't be moving around all the time. If you're here, you'd be safe. If you're away I..."

Me: "You what? Can't guarantee our safety?"

Damien: "I'll be worried is what I wanted to say." I was about to answer when my phone rang. It was Jace. This was my cue to leave.

Me: "It's pointless talking to you. You can't even come to terms with the truth about yourself. I don't know how everyone else buys your bullshit but rest assured that I won't."

Damien: "Looks like Jace got to Jasmine. I wasn't going to hold her against her will here anyways. Chatara said Jasmine wasn't happy here."

Me: "When will you stop manipulating that poor girl? I would take her with me but she thinks of you as a father and would probably refuse to leave. But like I said... it's pointless talking to you." I left for the door.