Chapter 18

My hands were shaking while I looked at the letter. I took a deep breath to get corage before reading it.

The image of Louis, of his blue eyes, his lips, his hair, his face, the night we spent together, of all the moments we’ve spent since he showed up in London, went through my mind while I was reading the letter.

Emily,

Probably, I won’t be no longer in London when you read this, I won’t either tell you where I’m going so you won’t come after me, but it’s better this way, believe me. Being there only hurts us both. You get confused and I don’t want to stop you from being happy, but I also can’t stand knowing that you love another man and that you’re getting married.

I’m not that masochist.

Being so close to you and not having you with me is painful. It’s like I’m waking up to only half a blue sky, he’s there but not quite. It’s like walking around with just one shoe. It’s like I was just half a man. Like if I only had half a heart inside me. And I can’t take that.

It’s funny thinking that we would always be together. I never thought we were like the other couples we used to see on the streets, that we didn’t fight like them, talk like them, that we didn’t love like them. I always thought nothing could separate us, not even the destiny, not the Gods above, but you moved on and you’re happy.

I was clearly wrong.

I just want you to remember me, of what we’ve been through: of the first day we met, of everything I told you, how I told my past and my secrets and how you did the same. I want you to remember what you were for me and what I was for you.

I want you to remember how you loved me and how I loved you, because there was no one else in the world that loved anyone as much as I loved you and it never will be.

But, despite everything, despite knowing the truth and that I just want to get in that church and tell everybody that you’re only mine, I want you to be happy. And if you’re happy with John, I will respect that. I have to respect.

Fuck, this was so cheesy.

I really love you Emily.

Louis.

The shock took over me as I started remembering everything: when I met Louis, all the memories I had before the accident, Kyle, Caleb, Harry, Ash, everyone, who really was john, what my mum thought the fact that me and Louis were dating, the fact that me and Louis were dating! I was able to remember everything!

I don’t love John.

I love Louis, always have.

Tears felt on my face when I realized that I was fooled all these years without ever noticing it. Now that I think about it, it was so obvious: the fact that I moved to London out of the blue, the feeling that I had that I only was with John because I was supposed to, Louis being surprise because I didn’t know who he was, people knowing my name and I don’t know theirs, what Dr. Henry said, the fact that John got mistaken with one detail of my accident, the fact that he lied to me…

Everything makes sense!

“Emily?” John’s father called, coming out of nowhere, “Honey, are you crying?”

“I can’t do this…”

“What happened?”

“They lied to me! All my life! I don’t love him…” I said, tears slipping with no intention of stopping so soon.