Chapter 2

Byrd

When waking up the day after the day one of the week long convention, noise fills the hallway from the guests leaving their assigned rooms in the castle and heading down to breakfast or the ballroom. I think of all that happened yesterday with Donovan, Leona, Duck, Romina and Bren's child. The situation with Bren and Romina escaped both Raidyn and I as he returned to our chambers early to greet our sons and I and we made sure to cause a massive storm to prove our love to newly arrived kingdoms.

From what I heard Bren arrived early this morning along with the news that Astrid had given birth to a girl and then a boy. Finn had sent me the letter and I promptly read it with Raph at the kitchen table as we smile at the news our niece, Aurelie and nephew, Ferris. I was so happy for Astrid and my brother, they deserve this so much it makes my heart swell.

I spot Bren walking down the hall and frown when I spot Flora beside him looking happy--they both look happy. Bren has a beautiful blond haired son, but he is illegitimate to the kingdom and he will be treated so lowly it breaks my heart. I know Flora is the type of person to want to take care of him and possibly raise this boy as her own, but it won't be enough for her. She will want a child of her own and so will her kingdom--they want an heir, need an heir. Flora will only further think something is wrong with her and never feel such joy of sharing a child with the man you love.

I ignore the two of them walking down the corridor as I return my attention to Raph. "Do you want to leave to go see your new niece and nephew?"

"Yeah. I think it's time for me to head home." Raph nods his head.

"Did you at least have fun here?" I give him a small smile.

"Of course, Lusc. You're my sister. This was a fantastic two months. I just think it's time for me to be home with my brother now and see the two little new ones."

I ruffle his hair and kiss the top of his head. "I'm going to miss you, little brother. You have to come back and visit again."

"I will." He hugs me. "So you'll send for a carriage?"

"As soon as you get your things packed one will be waiting for you."

He smiles and stands up from the table almost leaving before he stops and turns around to face me. "I love you, Luscinia."

"I love you too, Raphael." I largely grin. "Raidyn is in our chambers with the boys, make sure you say goodbye to him and tell him you're leaving." I call out to him and he yells back with an 'ok'.

I finish the food in front of me and to my surprise a tall body stands to my right. I turn to look at him and smile when I see it is Donovan. "Your girlfriend isn't with you?" I return to my food.

"What the matter? Jealous?" He raises and eyebrow and smirks.

"Hardly." I scoff. "You're welcome to take a seat."

"Your husband isn't around?" He takes the seat across from me.

"Why? Jealous?" I bark back.

"No." He laughs. "Just don't feel like dying today."

"You were almost the commander of Valdus's army--"

"Until you ratted on me." He gives me a sly grin.

"Not my fault." I shake my head. "I was a spy and you clearly knew that."

"I guess I didn't fall for that fake call-girl story."

"It was my job and I did what I had to do." I shrug my shoulders.

"Oh, I'm sure you did." He purrs. "You know you just ran out on me. I thought we were having a good time."