Chapter 11

Raidyn

"What do you want Donovan?" I growl as I open up the chamber doors answering the knocking. It is the morning after the second battle of the war, another battle that this mighty soldier has skimpy out of because he was unprepared. I step outside the door and close it behind me pushing him back. "No, you may not talk to Byrd, not at this hour." It was early, maybe four in the morning. Maybe Donovan is on drugs, wouldn't surprise me. The distaste clearly displays on my face.

"Come on." He pleads. "I need to talk to her, Raidyn."

"About what? Go back to bed." I cross my arms.

"No." He shakes his head. "I'll wake her up if I have too."

"My room is soundproof." I roll my eyes.

"It's not bang proof. I'll bang on the door until she answers."

"No, you won't. I'm your king. I decide what goes on here. If you don't like it, leave my kingdom. Byrd is tired and sleeping after a long night of welcoming me home."

Donovan groans at my comment. "Leona never understood me like Byrd did. Please, I have to talk to her about something." He argues.

"Go away. You can talk to her during the day." I snarl. "Just who do you think you are, arguing with me?"

Donovan rolls his eyes. "I get it, you're protective over Byrd. You don't understand, this subject is only something she'll get. I have to talk to her about it or else I'll be up all night."

"Talk to me."

"What?" His eyes widen. "I'm sorry, King, but you wouldn't understand."

"And why wouldn't I understand? What is it about? You're acting incredibly strange by your secretive manner. Tell me or I'll order for you to leave."

"You weren't one of his children of magic." He says plainly.

"I'm not falling for your bullshit. She is tired and I am letting her sleep. It's four in the morning." I rub at my forehead.

"It's not bullshit. Why else do I have magical powers--like my super strength?" He crosses his arms.

"You weren't one of his children like Byrd was. You weren't that close or else Byrd wouldn't have to spy on you." I narrow my eyes.

"Yes I was." He growls and then smiles. "She never told you did she?"

"Byrd and I talk about what's important, sorry but all the stories about you didn't happen to make the cut." I couldn't be more vexed. I just want to wake up peacefully and see my sons. He is ruining my favorite time of the day.

"I am truly hurt by that, my king." But he doesn't wipe the smile off his face. "I'm a few years older than Byrd, I was in training ahead of her, I've seen her before with Astrid and Arsen, but I was kept separate in the castle. I was one of his children of magic, he thought I was a traitor and so he had Byrd spy on me."

"It has been years. What would you do if Byrd wasn't within reach? You would deal with it yourself. Donovan, I am not a dumb man and I know that you're just trying to gain my wife's attention, but let her sleep or I'll break your nose again. Before you ask, yes, it is a threat and a promise." I yawn as I stretch my hands above my head.

"You're so hostile." He smirks. "But seriously, at this time years ago I would bother Leona, and she was decent at helping me, but Byrd...Byrd could really help me."

"I don't like you, it doesn't take a genius to figure that out. Talk to Leona now and Byrd later. No matter what, Byrd is getting her rest. She just had to take care of everything the week I was gone fighting a battle your wimpy ass skipped out on."