Chapter 36

Byrd

Everyday is excruciating being away from Raidyn and my boys, I want them--need them. I hate being in this terrible dungeon in this terrible kingdom. Gods, what did Astrid get me into? Maybe if I would've escaped to Ferawen or to Araelle maybe I would be fine--no I walked right to the hands of the enemy.

Every night Raidyn sends me dreams and it's the only thing that gets me through this wretched place. He talks to me about what's going on, that my boys are asking for me, that Ries has a little girlfriend. Most importantly he gives me pleasure, even if it's not real and it's all in my mind. I wake up so frustrated, but the dreams they feel so real--his touch. Gods I still remember and can feel his touch so distinctly.

The dungeon is cold and Leona and I at night would have to hug each other for warmth. They feed me a lot of food while Leona and Donovan get stale bread. I hated seeing them suffer in here with me, it's not fair to them. I always offer her and Don some of my food, besides they gave me plenty to feed the baby. Leona would tell me, "you need it more than I do." And Donovan would agree and eat his stale bread.

Last week was Riesner's second birthday. In my dream Raidyn told me all about his day and how it was spent. He got a new toy boat and since they're in the East he got to play in the pool with his new toy sailboat, I wish I didn't miss it.

I am seven and half months along. I'm huge, I'm miserable, and I'm still crying everyday. Donovan is in the cell next to us probably suffering from his a hundredth concussion. The guards kick and beat him whenever they get a chance, he's in rough shape. No guards have been near Leona and I which is good.

The baby is kicking like crazy and Leona is nice enough to give me stomach rubs. I feel a sharp pain--a contraction. I double over in pain. "I-I think it's time." I cry out. I try to hold it in. I try to talk myself out of giving birth but, there's no stopping this. The baby is coming. I groan loudly and Donovan looks over at me worried.

"Guards!" Donovan yells for them. "Guards!"

They come rushing in analyzing me. "I think I'm about to have the baby." I sob in disbelief that this is happening.

"Go get the Queen." One of the guards snaps to the other. No, no, don't get the queen.

Donovan is at the bars in the cell next to us. "Byrd, are you alright?" He asks sympathetically. "Let me out. She's my friend, I have to tend to her."

"Shut it!" A guard kicks him.

"Leave him alone!" Leona shouts.

A guard almost hits Leona and before I can intervene Creylia is in the dungeon with us.

"Today's the day!" Creylia sings. "Time to give birth! Oh, I'm so excited!" She opens the bars and enters grabbing me up to my feet.

"Please, stop. I can't move." I hit her arm lightly to let go of me.

"Certainly no baby of mine is going to give birth in a dungeon." Creylia looks appalled. "I'm moving you to somewhere more comfortable."

"You're not moving her anywhere." Donovan growls. "It's her baby! Leave her alone!"

"Your lover makes a passionate plea." Her eyebrows flick up. "Last I heard lovely Leona was your lover."

"None of them are my lovers." I groan in pain. "Raidyn, Raidyn is my one and only." I'm now sweating bullets.

"Last week it was your son's birthday, now it's time for this one. You've got a lot going on don't you?" Creylia teases. Anything to bring up my sons--a sore subject.