Chapter 60

Byrd

I went down to the dungeon to visit Romina. I stand at the bars and cross my arms, resting them on my bump. "Comfortable?"

She is lying back on her cot, "I'll say."

"Good." I give her a wide smile.

"Why are you here?" She snaps.

"I can't check up on the scum in the dungeon?" I snort.

"Ha-ha. Staring at me like some creature in a cage."

"No." I shake my head. "You're in here because you've plotted against us with our enemy. It's you're own fault."

"Plotted against you, never him."

"We're a team."

"Sure." It's her turn to snort.

I shrug my shoulders. "Believe whatever you want. While you rot down here I'm in my chambers sharing the King's bed."

"I told you he wouldn't let you kill me." She whispers into the air above her, still staring at the ceiling.

"Killing would be a mercy. When we finally kill Creylia and Raidyn gives me the okay, oh, I'm going to torture you."

"He won't, he promised." She turns to her side to look back at me now.

"Promises mean nothing when you're a criminal." I turn on my heel and start to walk away.

"If I'm a criminal than he is too! You don't even know the trouble we've gotten into. You don't even know the worst parts of him, even though you're probably convinced you do. Six months with me isn't nothing when I have an adventure to live out every day." She calls out to me.

I don't let her get to me as I continue to walk out of the dungeon and back into the main part of the castle where I meet up with Raidyn.

"Hey." I sigh and glare up at him with a weak smile.

"Hey." He happily grins down at me, he's kept his face clean shaved since the haircut, but the locks of his hair have already grown an inch or two.

"What did you do with Romina?" I blurt out.

"When?"

"Those six months...."

"Byrd..." he trails blushing and scratching at the back of his neck. "I think it was fairly obvious."

"Aside from sex." I blush back. "She said I don't know the worst parts of you."

Raidyn's eyes widen, "Ignore her."

"Is she telling the truth?"

"Partly. She's mainly just trying to get to you. I-I think maybe another time is better suited for this conversation."

"Why? Why can't you just tell me now?" I fidget with my fingers.

"This is why." Raidyn places his hands on the baby bump. "I don't want to upset you and possibly induce something."

"You won't." I place my hand on my still growing stomach.

Raidyn still seems unsure and as if he was fighting with himself whether or not to just say it.

"And if you do upset me just get me one of those calming tonics you took." I try to lighten the mood.

He nods and weakly smiles down at me. "I've done things in the past that I regret, but a good chunk of that was when I was with her. Rommi- Romina, she brings out the worst in me over anyone I've ever met."