Chapter 13

Raidyn

"General, where are we at with the war efforts?" I approach the young shell of a man standing in front of a gravestone. Jax still seems off, but he is incredibly motivated with running his troops. He wants to take down Cynric so badly.

"I recruited more soldiers. We can attack in three days. We have a perfect window of opportunity. I can get my men ready, it'll be an element of surprise."

"I love it. Have you spoken with Donovan? He should be your new second in command, although Cal is also a great option- both men have the experience so the decision is up to you."

"I-I, uh, I will think about it." He scratches at his head. "Both men are great, even though I just met Donovan. I think Cal is better. Either way, this is war, I need my options open--you never know who is next to die."

"She would be proud of you, you know." I look over at the gravestone and read Rosie's name.

"Would she?" He frowns. "She knew I had feelings for Raven. I regret it, I regret it all." 

"She was always proud of you and the hard work you've done and continue to do. Rosie was extremely hurt by you towards the end, but she's found peace and hopefully you can find it within yourself to forgive your past mistakes."

"I miss her so much." His shoulders slump and he drops to the ground, on his knees. "I was so in love with her. You know we were trying. Why her?!"

"To weaken you." I sigh. "War is a terrible thing and Cynric is a terrible man."

"I'm going to kill him. I am going to kill everything he loves." He growls. "No matter what that is."

"The only thing I am sure that Cynric loves is himself and his power over others. Together we are going to kill him and take away every ounce of influence he has."

"Three days. Be ready my king. We are going to win this war...even if it kills me."

"I am ready and I sure hope that it doesn't ever come to that. General, have you met Leona?"

"Leona?" He tries to think. "I don't know? Did she say I did? They all blur."

"I haven't asked her. She is a new scholar staying with us in the castle. I know that in the past we have had similar tastes in women, I just thought maybe you'd want to meet her."

"Can she warm my bed tonight?" He asks bluntly. "Or now."

"Why don't I introduce you two and you can see where things lead? I know that she was messing around with Duckman recently, but I'm not sure if she still is."

"Yeah. Yeah, okay. I'll meet her it'll be a distraction nonetheless."

I'm in my morning jogging clothes still when Jax and I mosey into the library. Shockingly, Leona is there alone.

"Leona, where is Duck at? Oh, and I brought someone along to introduce you to." I question.

Leona's eyes checkout Jax and I have a feeling she likes what she sees because of her smile. "Duck is with your sister, don't ask me the details, but I think it's over some minor pregnancy complication. He is obviously still emotionally invested there. Who's your friend?"

"General Jax Lockwood." He bows his head to her.

"It's a pleasure, General." She sticks out her hand for a handshake instead of curtsying. "Lady Leona Mortley."

He chuckles and looks her up and down smirking. "Do you want to come upstairs with me Lady Leona?"

"Someone moves a bit fast off the start. If this is what it's going to be let's set a couple rules; this is casual, no investment, no whining, and most certainly no bullshit territorial claim over me afterwards. I can handle my own and I expect you to do the same." She raises her eyebrows. "Sound good?"