Chapter 27

Raidyn

"Gods, Byrd." I gasp. My beautiful wife and the mother to my children- my queen stalks out of the bathroom in our chambers wearing nothing except for an old black t-shirt of mine and a sparkling black crown upon her head. Light from the windows cascade upon her accentuating her features in a way I didn't know possible.

I'm sitting on the bed and I want nothing more than to stand and run to her, to take her in my arms and feel her body, feel those curves under my fingertips, and to kiss her soft lips that are mine and only for me. That beautiful baby bump is round now, still tiny and growing slowly, making progress. I want to massage it, have her lying down on her back and moaning out softly as I massage her stomach. I want to see her eyes shut and chin raised as she exposes her neck for me to grace that beautiful neck of hers with my lips. I can't though. I can't stand, I can't even raise my arms from my sides. I am trapped- completely stuck in place.

I try to keep calm, try to see if the hold will wear down, but it's unyielding. Byrd continually stares at me with those sparklingly purple bedroom eyes, the ring of green in the middle appearing a lighter and lighter shade the more I struggle and panic. She doesn't even notice the torture, doesn't even react at first besides blinking twice. Her eyes grow wide, droopy almost as she frowns. "Don't you want me?" All she probably sees is that I haven't left the bed where I have been sitting yet.

I struggle harder with my arms and legs. They would be thrashing right now if I could break out of the bind I'm in. No movement. None. My breathing is hard and ragged as I continue on with failed attempts. Byrd gets closer and closer to me, arms out wide for me to hold her. I can't. I still can't move. I see a dark figure appear behind her. I had previously thought that it was her shadow, but now I see crystal blue eyes gazing at me from behind her.

"Raidyn..." Tears slide down Byrd's face.

"I want you dammit! I want you!" I yell out to her pleading with her. My tone is full of an apology I shouldn't be making. That thing behind her still intently stares. A smile creeps out from the dark accompanying those blue eyes. It's a demon- this demon must have a hold on me. "Let me go!" I growl and use every bit of energy inside me, but I don't feel it swirling. I don't see it either as I look down. I see my arms with a lack of blue light flashing down them. My energy is gone and an entire new emptiness fills me.

"Look." The mouth hisses out. "Look up at me, Raidyn."

I unwillingly look, Byrd so innocent and doesn't even notice the presence lurking behind her. It nears her, I can tell by the upward shifting of the eyes, this thing is taller than her by inches. I cock my head, I'm clamping down on my teeth so much that my jaw bone is popping out. The veins in my body popping out as I still attempt to get up and get in the middle of the two.

Byrd topples over yelping out a high pitched scream that pierces my heart before I can realize what happened- what that thing did to her. The blood starts to pour from her stomach with a point silver shining out. A knife. It stabbed her from behind.

"Byrd! Byrd, no!" Not another one, not another child lost.

"Raidyn, look down. Look down at your hands." The dark creature hisses. I don't obey, not daring to take my eyes off or away from Byrd. I need to be with her, I need to get to her desperately. She can't go through this alone. No. No this can't be happening. I panic more than I ever have before, becoming a mad man with no thoughts except a primal instinct to get to her, to protect and heal her, to try to save the baby. "Look down!"

I am forced to, my neck snaps down and my arms are at my sides coated in thick, fresh dark red blood. When I look up the scene has completely changed. Byrd is gone, the monster has vanished, but I am still seated on a bed. I am no longer in my chambers, no, I am in another castle. I know this room, it is so familiar to me. Then it hits me as mugginess flows in through the window. The East. I am staying in my room in the East. Riesner and Hollis both have their cribs set up next to my bed. The walls are white and the trim in the room is gold. I can freely move about the room and in the cribs both of my sons are sleeping. I hear shouts from the window, rumbles of deep, angry male voices. Guards rush into my room with Flora following behind them, her eyes wide and alerted as the babies start to cry from the loud entry.