Chapter 58

Byrd

It's the middle of the night when I hear stumbling downstairs. I rush to greet the commotion to see Raidyn and Romina soaked. Romina looks tired and Raidyn is smiling widely.

"What's going on?" I look between them. "Why are you back so late? Did something go wrong?"

"Ask him," Romina gives Raidyn a dirty look, "he took a calming tonic."

I snap to Raidyn who is still smiling. "Raidyn, honey, are you okay?"

"I am soooooooooo wonderful. I feel absolutely nothing, but it is all soooooooooooo good." He slowly blinks at me.

"Come on babe, let's go upstairs and get you in bed." I rub his back.

"No," he says quietly, "I am king."

"I know you are." I blink. "So do you want to sleep on the couch then?"

"If I hear him say those words one more time I am going to lose it. Goodnight." Romina rubs her temples and heads upstairs.

Raidyn chuckles and shakes his head. "It was a good day. You; how are you?"

"I-I'm fine Raidyn. We can talk about this upstairs."

"I am hungry. We did not eat." He blinks.

"Would you like some cookies?" I offer.

Raidyn nods and takes my hand smiling, "Lead the way."

I drag him along into the kitchen and hand him the plate of Vivianna's cookies.

"Do you know how long it's been?" He marvels at the cookie before taking a bite. "Oh gods." He moans.

"Since you had a cookie?" I raise my eyebrow.

"This is amazing," He whispers, "I need another."

"Take as many as you want." I silently sit back watching him.

"I will." He smiles and eats five more cookies.

"I think that's enough." I take the plate away from him. "Let's get you into pajamas." I say gently.

"I'll do it." He raises his chin, "I am king."

I rub at my forehead. "Okay, King." I sigh and head upstairs shutting the door to our chambers when he is on the other side.

"You look sad? Why?" He says gently.

"Because this isn't you and I'm tired and I'm just waiting for whatever this is to wear off."

"Yolanda gave it to me after I killed her apprentice." He smiles.

"I am glad you feel at ease." It must've been bad to the point where he needed a calming tonic afterwards. I crawl into bed resting my head on the pillow.

"Are you tired? I am almost done." He peels off his shirt, the back of it covered in mud, twigs, and leaves.

"Yes, I already told you I am tired." I watch him intently as his back muscles ripple and contract.

"Oh. Sorry. I forgot." He scratches at his head and stumbles when taking off his pants.

"Do you need help?" I sit up.

He starts laughing. "I-I am just so light now."

I get out of bed and help him anyways. "You're freezing, come on. Under the covers, King."

"Without pants?" He smiles.

My face heats up. Why should it, he is my husband? "I will grab you pants."