Chapter 18

Byrd

I must've dozed off because I am startled awake by Raidyn busting in our chambers. The boys stir awake and start to whine.

"What's going on?" I rub one of my eyes and blink to focus on Raidyn's silhouette at the end of the bed.

"There's someone here to see you." He replies quietly.

"Who?" My eyes widen.

"Hollis Thethran." Raidyn unfolds a letter from his hands and clears his throat. "Anything would be appreciated- a visit."

"Except for a visit. That is what I wrote, except for a visit. I did not invite him here." I stare at him with a type of urgency in my eyes.

"Well, then this ink smudge must've covered it. Look here." Raidyn reaches over and passes it to me.

"Son of a..." I look at the apparent black smearing over the words 'except for', "I guess...bring him in."

Raidyn nods and stays exceptionally quiet as he rises from the bed and moves to the door. "She is ready to see you now."

My heart goes completely still when the old man enters, his hair is white and thinning. Standing next to Raidyn he looks frail, he is skinny and tall, but not even close to Raidyn's height. He has green eyes and pale skin and walks with a wooden cane.

"Hello." I say quietly. "I'm Luscinia." I breathe out. I can feel my face heat up and all I want to do is fidget with my fingers, but I pull Riesner even closer to me.

"I know who you are, you still look as you do when you were a child- just like your mother."

"Mother is dead." I say blankly.

"And she deserves to be, she turned into a witch next to that rotten son in-law of mine." He grumbles. "Took my sweet girl right away from me."

"I-I have so many questions for you, but I don't know where to begin." I want to stand up and hug him or just touch him--anything. Instead I continue to fidget with my boys and do things like fix their clothing and brush their hair. "Why are you here?"

"I gave you time and you invited me with that message, I figured you sounded like you weren't ruined and I would like to protect what happened to my daughter from happening to you."

"I don't know if I can trust you." I admit. "I want to, but I can't be so naive and trust you blindly--you are a stranger to me."

"I know you feel that way because you still haven't called off your guard dog." He uses his thumb to point over to Raidyn.

"That is my husband." I smile lovingly at him. "King Raidyn Rastifen."

"Rastifen, huh? I noticed in the letter. Your grandfather was Saren?"

"What? No. My grandfather was Lykos." Raidyn tilts his head.

"That was after he changed it." My grandfather laughs from his stomach. "Our families have known each other for years, way before you two and even me."

"Really?" My eyebrows raise.

"Really." My grandfather replies. "How is Vivianna?" He asks.

"Vivianna is my mother's mother. You know her as well?" Raidyn says baffled.

"Last time I came to this kingdom I met her in town. You were maybe eight years old at the time."

"I don't think I've ever met or seen you before in my life." Raidyn shakes his head and his newly cut hair bounces.