This Is The One

Millie's POV:

"Mills, I love you, but you're such a nerd." Sadie explains as she puts her hand on my arm reassuringly. I scoff at her comment, still having the comic book in hand. "I am not a nerd!" "Have you seen you're glasses?" She teases, pushing them up the bridge of my nose before walking further into the small Hot Topic. I shyly readjust my glasses and put the comic back into the bin, catching up with Sadie as she looks at the stacked Pop Funkos on display. "So.. you ready to go find the perfect dress now?" Sadie questions as she turns on her heels to face me. "Sades, nothing is perfect." I state with a shake of my head. "C'mon, have a little faith!" She exclaims, grabbing my hand and pulling me out of the store before I get the chance to blink. She brings me almost half way across the mall to a store I've never heard of, but then again it's too pricey of a store for me to even think about shopping at. The display windows out front showcase gorgeous gowns with glorious diamond jewelry, it's obvious that only the rich are their customers, and definitely not two sixteen year olds in high school. I turn to Sadie with an unsure expression, "I don't think we should even go in." I state with raised eyebrows. She rolls her eyes in disappointment as she sighs and grabs my hand, practically dragging me into the high class store.

-

"What about.. this one?" The red head asks as she steps out of the dressing room, wearing a cute sleeveless light blue dress with the same blue lace over the fabric. My eyes widen in awe at how beautiful she looks in it; noticing my reaction, she smirks proudly. "Well?" She questions slyly, putting her hand on her hip. "Yes, that's the one. 100%." I confirm, nodding my head frantically. She flashes me a pearly smile before going back to the dressing room to change into her regular clothes. Whilst waiting for her to change, I find my eyes wandering around the store until inevidably landing on a marvelous, dazzling white dress with little sparkles on the upper chest. I eye the clothing with an agape mouth, finding my feet suddenly in front of it as I carefully touch the smooth fabric. "Would you like to try it on?" An unfamiliar voice asks from over my shoulder, causing me to almost jump out of my skin as I turn to her. She seems young, probably a little older than us, with short blonde hair and a friendly face. "I'm Grace, I work here. I see you have some interest in this piece?" She questions, pinching the white fabric. Coming out of my scared trance I hesitantly nod my head, blinking a couple of times. "Then let's have you try it on!" Grace exclaims with a smile, grabbing the hanger of the dress and leading me to the same dressing room Sadie was just in.  "Ooo, nice pick Mills." Sadie compliments as she walks out of the changing room, eyeing the dress. The two girls wait outside as I swiftly change into the dress that somehow seems to fit me perfectly, much to my pleasure. Slightly nervous, I slowly open the door to reveal myself to Sadie and Grace who instantly stare at me with wide eyes and approving smirks. "Wow, Millie you look fucking amazing." Sadie confirms, looking at me up and down as she nods. "Agreed, you look fabulous." Grace adds, flashing me a friendly smile. "So, is this the one?" Sadie questions curiously, brows raised. I look between the two before shrugging happily, "I.. I think so!" I admit, causing all of us to let out a giggle.

After changing into my previous outfit Sadie and I bring out dresses to the cashier and pay for them individually, although it was the most money I've ever spent in my life, I'm positive it was worth it. We walk out of the mall with our dresses in long black suits, carrying them by the hanger all the way to her car. "Alright, so.. what you wanna do now? We still got like 2 hours until I have to go home." Sadie explains, checking the time on her phone. Turning away from my window I look at her in thought, "Uh.. How bout we just go home and watch a movie?" I suggest, too tired to do any more shopping. She presses her lips together to stop her frown to show, but nodding her head nonetheless. She turns the key to start the car and backs out of the parking lot, driving back to my house as we belt out to the songs playing on the radio enthusiastically. Within 10 minutes we're back at my house and the jeep is lurching to a stop on my driveway. "I seriously can't wait for Tuesday, it's going to be fucking awesome." Sadie explains as we take our dresses out of her car and enter my humble abode. Still holding onto the hanger of the suit, I kick off my converse and let out a sigh, the sense of being home feeling nice after a long day of walking through the mall. "Hey, where's your family?" She questions curiously as she notices the quiet house. "Uh.. mum and dad are on date night, Charlie's with one of his college friends, and Ava's over at the Wheelers next door." I explain with a nod, she hums as if to say 'huh, okay then'. "You can just put your dress on the counter." I mention to Sadie, gesturing to the kitchen as she simply nods.

I stroll into the living room and fall back onto the comfortable couch, snatching the remote from the coffee table simultaneously. I begin scrolling through Netflix in search of something good to watch, spotting Sadie as she thuds down next to me from my peripheral view. "So what do you feel like watching?" I ask, still having my eyes glued to the TV. She hums indecisively, showing that she's thinking. "Um.. Oh! Let's watch Riverdale, this girl in my Study Hall kept yapping about it and it actually got me interested." Sadie explains with an innocent shrug. I nod and look it up in the search bar, finding it immediately. Within the next few seconds the show is starting and soon a familiar male voice is narrating over some scenic shots, his voice reminding me of my childhood weirdly enough. Sadie and I continue to watch the show, saying funny remarks and throwing out comments after a character says a line or a badass moment by Veronica. We get through 3 episodes until we decide to call it a night, mostly because of Sadie's mum texting her to come home. I wave her goodbye as her car rolls back down my driveway, letting out a tired sigh as I then close the front door and head up to my room to start on my homework.

I swing open my bedroom door and fall back into my desk chair, really not wanting to do my work but knowing I have to regardless. I slide open my desk drawer and grab my white earbuds, plugging them into my laptop to listen to music as I work. I pull out my homework folder and some of the textbooks needed, still tired but pushing through. Starting to jot down answers, I hear a soft knock on my door followed by it creaking open. I watch in confusion as I wait for someone's head to pop out of the doorway, but nothing. Hesitant, I pull out an earbud as my heartbeat quickens. "Hello?" I say aloud, thinking maybe it's just Charlie or something. After a few seconds of silence I pull out the other earbud and quickly walk to my door and swing it open... nothing, no one. "The fuck?" I whisper aloud, already feeling a cold sweat in the palm of my hands as I look down the hallway that turns a corner to see the staircase and downstairs. As I slowly take each step down the hallway I brainstorm something to say or do. "Hey, I have 911 ready to call!" I shout out warningly, but of course that's a lie. Silence. Only hours before midnight, that's the last thing you wanna hear after calling out for someone you expect to be there in a vacant home.

Just as I turn the corner a loud, low yell jumps me out of my skin as they flinch towards me with their hands out. I let out the most British, hysterical scream I've ever heard in my life as the person almost falls over laughing. They flick on the lights to show a laughing boy with that heartthrob smile. My relief soon turns into anger as I smack his chest with the back of my hand. "Screw you Finn!" I exclaim before going back to what I was doing as he continues to breathlessly laugh. Within seconds I'm back at my desk with one earbud in and writing down answers, watching as Finn walks in from the corner of my eye with the same smile on his freckled face. He comes behind my chair and hugs me from behind, his arms wrapping around my chest as he smiles into the subtle kiss he plants on my cheek. "You gotta admit, I got you so fucking good." Finn states proudly as I blush yet still roll my eyes. "You're a dick." I mention flatly, causing him to raise an eyebrow. "Are you really that mad?" He asks curiously. My features soften at his caring words, "N-No, I just.. don't like jump scares. They're the worst." I confirm, shifting in my seat uncomfortably with his arms still wrapped around me. "Well, now I know." He pipes up as his lips move down to my neck, the sudden contact making my breath hitch as I instinctively drop my pencil and tangle my fingers in his curly hair. I give him full exposure to my neck, giving into the overwhelming part of me that longs for the heartthrob of this small town. "Finn... I should really get this done." I mention, but not refusing to let him continue just yet. His lips peck my skin before he pulls away for good, releasing his arms and thudding onto the edge of my bed. "So, what're you working on?" Finn questions, his low, American accented voice still not failing to make my stomach flip every time I hear it. "Um.. just school stuff." I answer with a shrug, closing my laptop and pulling out my remaining earbud so I can hear him correctly. With my peripheral vision, I watch as Finn kicks off his shoes and lays back on my bed with one arm behind his head and his other comfortably resting on his flat stomach. "I saw your dress downstairs by the way, it looks beautiful. Damn.. imagine you actually wearing it, that'll be the best view since the earth discovered roses." He confesses, a speechless look on his face. "Roses?" I snicker with furrowed brows. His serious eyes meet mine, "Yes Millie, roses." He repeats flatly. Knowing he's joking, I go into a fit of giggles as he cracks a genuine smile. A faint smile present on my lips, I notice him staring at me admiringly. "What is it?" I ask, chuckling nervously as I tuck a strand of hair behind me ear. "You're just so breathtakingly beautiful.. it just makes me wonder how I got so lucky." He admits, still watching me as I feel my face heat up and lips press together to hide the ear-to-ear smile I refuse to let him see. "Yeah, I wonder that too." I add softly, shyly gazing at his shoes before quickly focusing back to my homework as Finn simply stares at the ceiling, probably spacing out into his own.. unaccessible thoughts.