Goal From The Start

Millie's POV:

"Here we are, princess." Finn announces with a sigh as we reach the front porch to my house. I turn on my heels so I'm facing him, a cold gust of wind causing my hair to graze my cheeks as his curls jostle in the wind. "Um, thanks again for walking me home." I mention, not really sure what to say. "Anytime. I guess I'll just see you tomorrow then?" He replies with his hands stuffed in his pockets, taking a small step back. An unwelcome hint of sadness rests in my chest to think that he wants to leave so soon, though it's probably just my mind exaggerating. "Uh- Yeah, of course." I answer, my voice quieting at the end as my eyes wander the ground. I watch as his feet move closer to me, his vans making a satisfying scratch on the concrete as they move. His index finger gently lifts my chin so my eyes are locked with his, his lips soon coming in contact with mine immediately after. No cold weather could change the fact that everything felt warm in those few seconds before he carefully pulled away. I let out a shocked but pleasant breath as I watch him shyly smile, his cheeks flushed red even it the bitter cold. The sheepish smile plastered on his lips show a sense of pure innocence I didn't think existed for him, but I have to admit, it's the cutest things I've ever seen. "I'll uh.. see you tomorrow." Finn says quietly before hesitantly walking down the few steps leading off the porch.

My eyes linger on him before my brain finally snaps back into reality, allowing me to walk inside my home, acting as casual as I possibly can. I kick off my black converse at the doorway before pulling off my favorite jean jacket, hanging it up on the coat hanger. I look over to the loud TV showing some UFC fight the Charlie's watching with Ava, who's lounging in the brown leather recliner. "Hey guys." I greet, trudging over to the living room and letting my exhausted body sit back onto the couch. Their eyes glance over at me before shooting back to the fight, Charlie's lingering longer. "How was the game?" He questions, making easy conversation. "Good, couldn't really see the game though." I answer simply, at which he just nods. "And how's the guy you just kissed?" He asks casually, smirking as his eyes fall onto my beyond confused face. "How- Wh-" I stutter, not managing to get a single word formed. He lets out a chuckle before explaining, "You're lipstick is slightly smeared and you came in with a girly grin on your face." He teases, gesturing towards me. "So Millie.. you fancy him?" Ava queries tauntingly, a proud smirk on the nine-year-old's lips. "No Ava, I kissed him for the hell of it." I remark sarcastically, chuckling softly at her innocence. "Who was it? That Finn guy?" Charlie guesses, even the mention of his name making me smile. I press my lips together before nodding, causing him to snicker at my response. "Are you dating him?" Ava questions, drawing out the 'a' in 'dating'. "I don't know, am I?" "I just asked you that!" She complains, I only smirk knowing she won't push any further. "Enough talk about idiotic boys, lets just watch this fight." Charlie insists, leaving the conversation there only for the three of us to watch UFC fights for the next couple of hours together, actually spending time together for the first time since we moved here.

"Okay, I should probably go to bed now. Night, Char." I explain while standing up from the couch, the time being 11:35 pm. "Night. Can you see if Ava's asleep yet?" He asks quietly, the only light being emitted is from the TV in the silent night. I only nod as a response before trudging up the stairs and heading to Ava's room. Slowly, I creak open the pearl white door with a large, pink 'A' taped to it carefully. Peering into the dark room, I spot a small body curled up under the heavy covers, blonde hair draped across her pillow. With a light smile I gently close the door and go to my room around the corner of the hall. Within 15 minutes I've already gotten dressed, brushed my teeth, taken out my contacts, and washed the makeup products from my face. With a deprived sigh I let myself slip under the warm covers on my bed, my legs thanking me greatly for letting them rest. I find myself swiftly drifting to sleep, with a blank mind and exhausted body.

-

"Listen Noah, I just think if you're going to wear a bowtie.. it should be an actual bowtie." I explain as the three of us sit at our usual table outside the school, discussing his tux for the Snowball. "I second that." Sadie adds with her finger in the air. Noah groans in annoyance, "But a clip-on is so much easier!" He whines. "Hey, its only our opinion. The only one that truly matters is Kenzie's." I state, he only sighs as a response. My eyes travel over to a boy who's back is facing me, wearing tan sperry's, some-what baggy faded jeans, an iconic green bomber jacket, and a blue beanie to cover his curly locks. Unknowingly staring I watch as he somehow turns his body in slow motion my way, a stunning smile showing as he looks up from the frosty grass, his hands stuffed in his pockets. My body jerks due to the red-head beside me shaking my shoulder, snapping me from my trance. She sighs as I blink a few times while looking at her expressionless, "You're turning into one of the 'Finn lovers'." Sadie mutters just as that same boy sits down next to me, Caleb and Gaten joining too. "Hey."  Finn greets with his charming smile, which I can't help but mirror myself. "Hi." I reply simply before being smacked in the shoulder by, you guessed it, Sadie Sink. My head whips toward her in pain as my hand covers the spot she smacked, only receiving a 'please stop' scowl from her as a explanation. 

"So Finn, Millie." Gaten starts, grabbing both of our attention as he grins mischievously. "I hear the two of you had a little fun skipping class recently." He states intriguingly, though I'm not sure I like where this is headed. Caleb then continues on for him, "Yeah, something about making out in the janitors closet?" He guesses sarcastically, the question causing Noah to burst out laughing. I feel a sudden warmth come to my face as I pray I somehow disappear from this conversation. Realizing who told them I widen my eyes at Sadie, in which she just nervously smiles back. "Looks like you achieved your number one goal from the day Millie came here, Finnlard: you've officially kissed every girl in the school. Congrats, heartthrob." Caleb announces, giving him a proud smile as my features then soften to no expression at all. Everyone's eyes travel to me as Caleb just chuckles to Finn as he just uncomfortably laughs softly, I clear my throat quietly as I glance to everyone except him. That one sentence was enough to make my red cheeks turn pale, my body to force itself to stand from that table, swiftly walk away, and while refusing to even glimpse at the boy I was drooling over only seconds later. I don't care if I'm being dramatic, I don't care if Caleb just worded it wrong, I don't care if there's a reasonable explanation... I just need to get away from here. 

My mind races as I swing my bag around my shoulder, not caring who could be chasing after me or not. With long strides I speed into the woods not far from the school campus, ignoring everything around me. Within minutes I'm deep into the forest, the sound of leaves and twigs crushing under my feet reminding me of the first night I met him, the first one I saw the true him, or at least who I thought was the true him... and who I hope actually is. Spotting a large dry log laying on the ground, I sit down with a sigh. I let my hands run through my hair as I close my eyes, breathing in the oxygen produced by the hundreds of trees around me. All is calm until the sound of a branch snapping is heard nearby.