1 - Black, No Sugar

"Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness, has never danced in the rain

"Anyone who says sunshine brings happiness, has never danced in the rain." 

The brown eyed girl laughed as she read this line, scrolling through her feed in the morning while munching down her cocoa pebbles. She had just gotten out of bed and taken a shower, ready to go for work. But this line had her in a fit of laughter, not because the quote was cute or inspirational, but because it was fake. 

"Who could possibly love the rain?!" She said as she shook her head, her laughter dying down. She set the empty bowl of cereal to the side, not before drinking the chocolatey milk. Grabbing her bag, she left the apartment, muttering something that often went through her head.

"Who could possibly love Raine." 

* * * 

The coffeeshop was slow today and well anticipated. Cathy's Cakes & Coffee was at the prime location in New York City, surrounded by many huge industries and office buildings. On the weekdays, the cafe would be packed to the point where there would be a long line of rushing employees waiting to get a cup of the best coffee in the area. However, on the weekends, the cafe was as barren as a desert. The whole financial area of this city was this was, in fact. People stayed as far away as they could from the stress of work on the weekends. Instead, they choose to enjoy their time by going to the downtown or hanging out in the city. 

Raine was cleaning up the tables around the cafe and mopping the floor which was sticky from yesterday's coffee spills. She dipped the mob in the soapy water and trailed it along the floor, making patterns while humming softly.

Raine had gotten a job at Cathy's Cakes & Coffee not too long ago. Though it wasn't her desired occupation to be a waitress at a local coffee shop, her options were limited and she was in need of money. 

Today was a quiet and slow day. Mike, the man who ran the register was recounting and organizing the cash register. Mike was a blond haired man with bright green eyes, fresh out of community college. He had long wished to go to a university to pursue his career as a business major, however, while dreaming was free, completing those dreams was not. Universities cost a lot and Mike unfortunately didn't have the money he needed. Despite the obstacles, he was still keen on fulfilling his dreams. And to do this, he had two jobs: The cafe in the day time and a waiter at a fine dining restaurant in the evenings.

"Hey Mikey, how many times are you going to count the money?" Raine teased as she noticed this to be his third time shuffling through the cash register.

"Do you have anything better for me to do?" Mike responded with a bored expression plastered to his face.

"You know Daisy is inside making her special Spiced Pumpkin Cookies. She can always use an extra hand." Raine smiled at the way Mike's face brightened up at the mention of Daisy's name. She was the baker at the cafe and in charge of the kitchen. Apart from that, Daisy was also the daughter of Cathy, the owner of the Cathy's Cakes & Coffee.